Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #1 
FloridaBettas239

Homemade Betta Pond (Must Read)

So my friend call's me up yesterday, Saying come over he wanted to show me something. So i was out doing thing's i stopped by and to see what he wanted, And there it was!!!!

He took some of that black plastic stuff that you line the ground when your building a koi fish pond or something and he dug a hole nice size at least 200 gallon or more. Also when he dug the hole he didnt just make it round he made it look like a cool little pond then he put the black plastic down and cut it to fit. the plastic is to keep dirt from the ground from getting in there, And then he took big rocks the size of tennis ball's and lined the whole thing around the edge's so you cant see where the black plastic meets the grass and lined the whole bottom of the pond then he got a fountain so water would be moving all the time and he also put all kinds of plants and lilly pad's from his koi fish pond in there so the bettas can get away from each other.

It look's so freaking cool i wish i would have thought of that he has had it up and going for a week and a half and everyone in it is still ok no missing fins so far there is 18 males and 8 females in it and the other thing thats so awesome is 2 of the males are building bubble nest under a lilly pad its like watching them in the wild is how it seems its just so awesome.

If anyone wants to know.. He did this for all his retired bettas or bettas that wont sale or regular tail bettas the pond was built for old retired bettas to just live out there lives free and happy when he come's out in the afternoon they know it's feeding time they all just sit there staring at the top of the water waiting for food to land.. there can be 2 males beside each other and they dont care they just are waiting for dinner to drop.

Anyway i thought i would share this with everyone it make's me want to build one. I dont care about koi, But i would like to have a betta pond.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

That sound really cool, you need to get some pic for us.
If my winters didn't get so cold I would do that too.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

Yeah he is a cross town so i have to be out that way to get them i took some pic's with my black berry well at least i thought i did when i hooked it up to my computer last night there wasnt none on there and i cant find them but when im back over there im going to take pic's so i can look at them and get idea's to build mine. Also post some on here..
Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #4 
secuono

It's a pond liner & it's used to keep water from seeping into the ground.

How warm is it year round??
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #5 
FloridaBettas239

He said the water temp stays around low to mid 80s the pond is in the shade and the temp here year around is hot an average temp like today is 88 in the shade we can be lucky if it gets 75 in the winter time
Old 07-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #6 
frogipoi

Cool!!!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #7 
weluvbettas

its a cool idea but dont the males fight?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #8 
JKfish

it sounds like a cool idea, but there always is the risk of the bettas possibly fighting. I wonder if the bettas would breed...
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #9 
FireKidomaru

wow! thats awesome! and i have the same question as JKfish... wouldnt they breed by themselves?
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #10 
frogipoi

I agree with JKfish
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote