Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #21 
Ajones108

Lion Mom, as much as I would LOVE to give this fish a 5 gallon tank, I live in a dorm. :( We have a 10 gallon limit, but I don't have anymore room in my dorm for a tank any bigger. ><
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #22 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
Lion Mom, as much as I would LOVE to give this fish a 5 gallon tank, I live in a dorm. :( We have a 10 gallon limit, but I don't have anymore room in my dorm for a tank any bigger. ><
Bummer! Oh well, thought you might be interested since it is such a good deal. Maybe some time in the future. :) In the meantime, listen to Oldfishlady - she will steer you right!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #23 
Ajones108

Just did a 50% change on the tank, added a little bit of NovAqua and AmQuel, along with the new Fish Protector made by the same brand. Put the heater back in the tank, keeping an eye on the temperature, and now floating the fish in his cup, adding the new water every so often to his cup to acclimate. Fish is still looking healthy, he's flaring up every time I get near his cup cause hes mad at me. Will keep updates posted.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #24 
Ajones108

Betta is now opening and closing his mouth every couple minutes while still in his cup. Removed more of his ammonia-filled water and added in some of the newer water. He seems to be anxious and wanting out of the cup, constantly poking his nose at the bottom of the cup at the decorations in the tank. Goes up to breathe and has made a few bubbles, but otherwise stationary.

Comments on the mouth thing?

Temperature of the tank at 78-80 degrees, heater was just turned back on.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #25 
Ajones108

Just poured some of his cup water in a cup to be disposed of and added some of the new water into the fish's cup. Still looking lively, flaring his fins on occasion, exploring his cup as a far as he can, still doing the mouth thing every few minutes though. He sits stationary a lot but there isn't much to do in a cup so I give him the benefit of the doubt. >>

Last edited by Ajones108; 07-07-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #26 
Ajones108

Maybe he's just testing the water with his mouth?

After all this water changing and such, is my fish ready to be added to his tank now? He seems bored. And he's been 'acclimating' for an hour.

---

Putting fish in tank now, will update tonight if conditions get severe or tomorrow morning to cry if things got worse during the night. D:

Last edited by Ajones108; 07-07-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #27 
vaygirl

Yeah, I'd say you could add him. With the opening and closing thing, they breathe from the surface, so he's probably just going for air. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #28 
Ajones108

I've been such a nervous wreck, Vaygirl. @.@ He's exploring the tank right now. Although now I'm curious if his problem is too much ammonia... When I got him at the store he was mostly blue and green with some red coloration. The next day, as I stated in the first post, the tank was cloudy, and he seemed to have more red coloration, like his two front long fins were completely red. o_o I figured he was just a multi-colored fish. Earlier, he seemed to have a lot more red coloration.

When I put him in the new tank, its almost like he instantly lost a lot of the red coloration and is resuming a relatively bright blue. Is it possible that this fish is just INCREDIBLY sensitive to ammonia and his fins show it quickly? Its like I have a built-in ammonia tester in my tank. But the red was so pretty, it didn't seem like irritation at all. Actually, I have no idea what irritation looks like except that its red on the fins. v_v

EDIT: At night, his underside under his mouth and "chest" is gold. But during the day its a light blue. o.O Do I have a color changing betta? D:

Last edited by Ajones108; 07-07-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #29 
Ajones108

Betta looks good this morning, but the water still seems really cloudy even after doing the 50% water change yesterday?

Betta still likes to hang around the corner of the tank, though near the heater a lot today. For some reason the temperature in the room got cold last night so the tank is around 78-79 degrees, hoping it doesn't drop lower.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #30 
vaygirl

It might be the Fish protector? Are you using it? They sometimes have aloe in them and it can cloud the water.

I don't know about the color change thing. Tango has a silverish color to his gills and you can only see it really well when the tank light is off and indirect light hits him. Sometimes their colors look different under different lights.

It's normal for them to be skittish corners surfers when you first have them. Just give him some time to get used to his surroundings and keep up with regular water changes.

And don't panic. You're doing all you can to see that he's happy and healthy. :) I know, I watched mine like a maniac when I first brought him home. It was like... "He's swimming up and down the tank a lot, is he dying?!" "He's hanging in a corner, is he dying!?" "He won't eat!? Is he dying!?"

Things to look for in a sick or distressed fish are laying on the bottom and panting. Gasping at the top of the tank non-stop. Laying on his side anywhere, top or bottom for extended periods of time. Losing color and turning a grayish.

They'll do weird things though. Whiskey gets himself caught to the filter intake and hangs there. Tango will jam himself in small spaces where you can only see his tail and it scares the crap out of me. Right now as I look over at Whiskey he's in a plant, completely vertical, with his head pointing up and his tail pointing down... just hanging and looking at me through the glass. You'd think he's dead but I lean forward and he comes out like... I'm fine! Just chillin!

One of the best books I ever got was this book about fish diseases. It has gross and graphic pictures but it's been a huge help to me in identifying what these things look like.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote