Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #1 
Amour

Why Is My Water Cloudy?

Hey guys! Another problem for me came up.

I bought a new 5 gallon tank for my betta and set it up last night with new gravel, which I rinsed thoroughly, three silk plants, a ceramic pot designed for fish tanks, two live plants, a snail, a little froggie statue, bubble stone, heater, and filter. Oh and a fluorescent bulb.

And almost since I set it up the water's been cloudy. I can't figure out why. The water should be clean right? So why would it look cloudy?

Does anyone have an idea why? Also there seems to be sort of a residue building up where the water level is.

I've also put aquarium salt (per instructions) BettaSafe, and AccuClear in his tank to prepare the water.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

I would say it's cycling because it's a new tank but you said it been like that since you set it up so. But a small 5 gallon would cycle fast I would say it's cycling your supposed to give a tank 2 or 3 weeks then put fish in it. That away it has time to cycle and all reading go back to zero.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #3 
sjones

I'd say gravel? What color is the gravel? And yes, it needs to cycle for a month
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

It could be any of the thing's you put in there for him if you didnt rinse the gravel enough, It could be a number of things

If the water is cloudy immediately, or within an hour or two of filling the tank, it's probably due to insufficiently washed gravel Drain the tank and rinse the gravel until the water runs clear. That should resolve the problem.

If washing the gravel doesn't solve the problem, the next most likely cause of cloudy water in a newly filled tank is a high level of dissolved constituents such as phosphtaes silicates, or heavy metals. If you test the water, you'll no doubt find the pH is high (alkaline). In these cases, treating the water with conditioners will often resolve the problem.

Those are a couple tip's from the tetra care program also like i stated before it could be the tank cycling i set up one of my 10 gallon tanks and used a fish to cycle it, By the next morning it was cloudy and had started cycling.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #5 
Amour

Thanks for the input guys! I actually found the culprit. It was the bubble stone. I changed the water, rinsed everything out, and the tank had clear water. And then a half an hour later, I turned on the bubble stone and clouds of something or another started filling the tank. So I turned it off and took it out.

I have another question now though. Do I need a bubble stone? I bought both a long one and a tiny one. The long one was what I had in the tank. Ninja Dude doesn't even really like the bubbles, and I have live plants in my tank to put oxygen into the water.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #6 
Adastra

Bettas do not need airstones because they can breathe water from the surface. Many times the current caused by the bubbles stresses them out--if you still want to use the airstone with less bubbles you can tie knots in the tubing or crimp it with binder clips. Gang valves are also good for this. If you don't want to use it, they're still good to keep around in case your betta ever gets sick.

I think FloridaBettas' words about cycling may be a bit misleading, since he or she left out the fact that a tank needs ammonia to cycle. If you leave it for two weeks and don't do anything, nothing will happen. I suggest researching the nitrogen cycle.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #7 
FloridaBettas239

There are 2 major cycling methods and thats using fish or without fish you can put some hardy fish in there like a betta and your tank will cycle or you can add a bacteria supplement to start the cycle i have used the fish way both time's on my 10 gallon cummunity tank i put a betta in it to start the cycle after 3 weeks it was ready i added my other fish little at a time and on my 55 gallon i used 6 tiger barb's to start the cycle and the big 55 took 4 weeks mabey 5 i no it was a while before i could add my clown loaches it seemed like 2 months i like doing it with a fish because it seem's like a strong bacteria my friend used the supplement and some how his bacteria started dying and his tank started a small cycle over again. If you want some real info and are unsure go to a fish care website not a fourm where everyone just tell's you what they do or there opinion and disagrees with other's not being rude just saying that some time you have to go get the facts not what people think
Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #8 
Amour

I plan on cycling my tank with Ninja Dude in it. I know some people think it's mean, but I personally don't want to keep my poor betta in a tub for weeks and weeks. I'm going to be really careful with the water, do plenty of partial water changes, and test the water a lot. He's a really happy and lively fish. I think he'll be just fine.

I don't ever plan on putting any other fish in his tank except him and his pet snail, so I won't ever have to worry about him getting sick from other fish or there being too much waste in the water.

I do read on other websites a lot. And it has come in handy. This one site I found recommends using aquarium salt and a treatment called Aqua-Sol, and it actually ended up helping a lot because he tore his fins about four days ago and by the second day they were completely healed.

Thanks for the advice guys, and FloridaBettas. (:
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Web-site can still just be a persons opinion based on their experience or something they read and especially if they are selling something or pushing a product of some type-they will provide information that fits what they are selling/pushing

Forums-give a wide range of opinion and experience, however, it is up to the person to use their own judgment before following some information given.

The best information and what I like to use on the internet are from scientific studies and/or science based research

And a little logic and personal experience......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #10 
Amour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Web-site can still just be a persons opinion based on their experience or something they read and especially if they are selling something or pushing a product of some type-they will provide information that fits what they are selling/pushing

Forums-give a wide range of opinion and experience, however, it is up to the person to use their own judgment before following some information given.

The best information and what I like to use on the internet are from scientific studies and/or science based research

And a little logic and personal experience......

Well said. (: