Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 
newfiedragon

Question Fin damage or fin rot?

While I'm pretty sure it's not (I'm fairly certain my poor fish is getting his fins caught in the intake of his filter, which I've turned off since I noticed this), I'm just making sure that this isn't fin rot.

Here's a pic before (sorry about the slight blurriness)...

And here's a pic from today...

His tail is completely shredded, and his bottom fin is ripped. If it's fin rot then I'll pick up some medicine for him, but if it's fin damage, what would be the best way to help him regrow his fins?
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #2 
newfiedragon

Exclamation

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I really don't want to medicate Goober if I don't have to...
Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #3 
Terranariko

I'm not a expert on this...so don't go with what I say...but my opinion it kinda looks more like fin rot, but I'm not completely sure...I'd watch him for a day or two and if it gets any worst with out the filter on, it's most likely fin rot. if not it's most likely just a rip...

I think another clue may be how active he is...has he become less active? or looks bad in any other way? like he's sick?

I think you'll need to wait till a more experienced member posts.
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #4 
LennonJohnX

OldFishLady is really good with fish care and identifying diseases. She helped me with one of my sick fishies.
LennonJohnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #5 
JKfish

Finrot is relatively slow, and it would take a while of neglect to get like that. It looks like fin damage, or fin biting. His fins will regrow with plenty of clean water. To be sure, turn off the filter for a while, and do water changes. If the damage continues, and it drastically changes in a day or two, he is fin biting. If it slowly gets worse, it is fin rot.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #6 
newfiedragon

Well, other than the fin damage, he seems really happy. He's been building bubblenests non-stop for the last few days and he's been really active swimming around his tank. I'm thinking that it's fin damage caused by his filter (an Elite mini that came with his tank and that I'm planning on replacing) because I've seen his fins get sucked into the intake a few times. It's just a sponge filter, and there are no mechanical parts near the intake, but I guess the sponge is still hard enough to do some damage. I did notice in the second pic that there are some white spots on his tail so I looked a little closer at his tail, but they don't seem to be a fungus or anything...just spots. And there are no other spots anywhere on him. *sigh* :(
Old 06-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #7 
newfiedragon

His bottom fin already looks like it might be healing up...so I'm really hopeful that it's not fin rot! :D
Old 06-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #8 
Sarada

It doesn't look like fin rot to me. BUT I noticed you also have plastic plants in your tank. My betta ripped his fin good on those too...he had a few holes in it so I took them out and bought silk plants.
If I were you I would add some aquarium salt to his tank and do daily changes for ten days and see if there is a difference. Also soak his pellets in garlic.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #9 
vaygirl

Tango's tail looks like that after he's been flaring non-stop for days. Does he flare a lot at his reflection?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #10 
newfiedragon

The plant was labeled as silk, and he was fine for the longest time with no problems at all with his fins, Sarada. It's possible that he is cutting his fins on the plant, but I (hopefully) would have noticed it before now. I've already changed his water and added aquarium salt. As for the flaring, Vaygirl, that's also possible. I was on vacation for a week with my husband taking care of Goober, and when I came home, my husband told me that he would turn on the tank light and turn off all of the other lights (the tank's in my bedroom), so he probably was flaring a lot at his reflection that week. I've considered that as a source for the raggedness and ripping.