Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #1 
Jdh

Some help with Siphons/Nitro Cycle?

Hi everyone! I've had quite a few helpful tips since I registered here, but I'm still a little stuck on the nitrogen cycle. I covered it a little bit on my previous thread, but I thought it might be more appropriate if I make a new one.
Anyway, I've been reading multiple articles on the nitrogen cycle and how to begin an ecosystem in my tank. However, I still have a few questions about the cycle and how it will affect my Betta.

My first question is, could the cycle harm my Betta? I recently got my Betta , and unfortunately was not aware of this type of tank setup. The tank itself has only been set up for about 5 days, so I'm sure the cycle isn't complete. Should I remove the Betta and put him in a bowl until the Nitrogen cycle is complete?

I was also wondering what type of Siphon would be best for a 10 gallon tank. I know that most people don't do complete water cleanings, but have a gravel siphon and then add water weekly. Will any Gravel Siphon work for this? How often do I use it? If anyone has some articles on this, that would be great too. :)

Also, would changing the gravel restart the nitrogen cycle?

Thanks for any help!
-Josh
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

It takes weeks for a cycle to start and complete itself and you have to be careful to keep feeding it with an ammonia source.

I suggest getting a 1-2 gallon container/kritterkeepr/jar/vase/any kind of small plastic storage bin to keep him in till the cycle is finished. just remember if it's 1 gallon do daily 100% water changes, if it's 2 gallons do 2 50% changes and 1 100% water change each week. I'm unsure about the amount for a 3 gallon. =/

I also suggest the piece-of-fish/shrimp method. It does really well and you don't have to worry about dosing it with ammonia, although you might need to feed the tank with more bits of fish/fishfood near the end to keep the bacteria fed.

You just put 1 or 2 skinned and tailed shrimp into your tank in the cut off foot part of a pair of $2 dollar nylon pantyhose from walmart (this prevents the shrimp from making a mess in your tank), toss it in your tank, test your water with a master liquid test kit of some sort (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...54&pcatid=4454 or you can find a master test kit on walmart.com for 2 dollars less) every few days and if the ammonia goes past .35 or 3.5ppm then do a partial water change (but not much!).

What your looking for is a burst of ammonia, a drop in ammonia, a burst of nitrites, a drop of nitrites, and a burst and drop in nitrates. Once the nitrates are stable and the ammonia and nitrates are at 0 your tank is cycled.

At least I think I got that right. =/ I'm not starting my cycle till tomorrow.

There are ways that you could speed your fishless cycle up:
raise the temperature in the tank to around 85, bet an airstone and stick it in so that the tank is well aerated. Add a small live plant to take up any excess ammonia produced so that the bacteria don't die if the ammonia rises above 4.0 ppm.

Good luck on cycling! =] if you want more info you could talk to OldFishLady, dramaqueen, 1fish2fish, JKfish, or one of the other members with already cycled tanks. =] They're all really nice! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

You can safely cycle the 10g tank with the Betta as long as you are dedicated to making the needed water changes.

The nitrogen cycle with 1 Betta, light feeding and uneaten food removed after feeding can take from 4-8 weeks to complete

You need a filter or an airstone to get a true cycle, a filter is better as the bacteria have a great place to colonize on the filter media. The bacteria needed for a cycled tank need oxygenated water to thrive, once the oxygen decrease the good bacteria can die and use of chlorinated water can kill them as well and this is why the filter media needs to be swished/rinsed 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows in old tank water with a water change.

To start the cycling process you need an ammonia source, fish-in cycle the fish is the ammonia source or you can do the fishless cycle and buy pure ammonia to add to the tank.

If you have the fish already I would do the fish-in cycle and make the needed water changes.

Regardless of what container you put the Betta in- ammonia will be present and water changes on the Betta will still need to be made no matter what you put it in.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #4 
Jdh

Thank you for the advice, Wallywestisthebest and Oldfishlady! My Betta seems to be showing signs of Fin Rot (I believe he had it when we got him.) Since I'll be isolating him for treatment anyway, I think I'll do the cycling method without fish- Plus it will be faster. However, I still have a few questions on Cycling:

-What type of Siphon should I use for a 10 Gallon Tank? A gravel siphon?
-Once the cycling process has gone full circle (And the Amonia is gone), how many water changes do I need to do every week/how much?

Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

You don't need a siphon while cycling. a siphon is a gravel cleaning tool. the point of cycling is to get the gravel colonized with bacteria. distubing it with a siphon could disturb and ruin the cycle. =[

I'd just get the average size (medium sized) siphon at petsmart/ the only one that they sell at walmart. that ones good enough. =]

Once the cycle is finished and you only have your betta or your betta and a few small tank mates, then you only need to do a partial water change once or twice a week. =] Which is pretty much the point of cycling! XD
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #6 
Jdh

Okay, got it. Would you suggest only using the Siphon every 2 weeks or so for cleaning-- Or not at all if the tank is cycling successfully?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Once the 10g filtered tank has cycled (4-8 weeks)
Regular weekly 50% water changes and vacuum the substrate in all areas that can be reached without moving anything in the tank or disruption of plant roots.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slow to get the big pieces of gunk off, you want the filter media to look dirty...this is good bacteria
Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #8 
mjbn

OFL, so when my tank is cycled and i do the 50% weekly water change, 1 or 2 times a month i take the filter media out and dip/rinse it in my tank water to get the gunk off and use the vacuum to pick it up and keep the filter media? Do i ever have to replace the carbon inside of the filter catridge?
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

That depends, I don't use carbon, I do water changes instead, if you have the money and want to use carbon, then yes, you will need to change it per the labeled direction on the package, however, you will need to cut the old media off the filter and stuff it next to the new filter media for a week or two to prevent a mini-cycle or ammonia spike, once the new media has seeded then you can toss the old media.
When you change the media, I would do it between water changes too, turn off the filter and swap it out and turn the filter back on.