Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #1 
stardust

Betta interested in algae tablet.

Hi, I am a newbie so to speak with Bettas. Well, at least caring for them properly. I had one before about ten years ago and now I see I did a lot wrong. I guess I was lucky because he did well while I had him. I had to give him away when I moved. Anyway, I have learned tons over the past 6 weeks reading here and seem to having a very happy VT boy, Lightning McQueen. He's the kids' ... can you tell?

My question is will rubbing and biting on an algae tablet hurt McQueen. I just added ottos to his tank and there isn't much algae, so I put a tablet in plus a little blanched zuchinni. McQueen kept going under the zuchinni and messing with it. Then when the algae tablet got really soft and about 2/3 eaten, he started rubbing on it and biting at it. It reminded me how a dog sometimes rubs on something that is dead. Now that it's gone, he's not rubbing on anything and act fairly normal except for keep on eye on his new friends. Do I need to do anything to prevent him from having contact with the algae tablet in the future?
stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

Yes bettas are very hardy fish this is why you and most people have such luck with them and makes them the perfect kid's fish..

There is nothing to worry about they can eat algae waffers it's just like us eatting are veggies some people feed there bettas frozen pea's to help clean them out and make them healthy. The only thing i would worry about is if he just ate the whole thing. If he sat there for hours and ate the whole thing i would say be careful he dont eat to much.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #3 
stardust

Great! Thanks for your quick answer. I'll give them half of a wafer more often so he has less of chance of od-ing.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

Your welcome, Dont be scared to start new thread's and ask away, Everyone on here are very cool people.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't use algae wafers as his staple diet. Make sure he eats pellets and other foods such as bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #6 
stardust

I am trying to keep his intake of the algae in check by doing what I said above. He eats pellets and twice a week gets blood worms. I have thought about trying to find him live food, like mosquito larvae, flies and the such, but haven't got around to it yet.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #7 
Mizzle

I have to seperate my bettas from my ottos and loaches for feeding or they eat all the sinking shrimp pellets / algae rounds
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #8 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust View Post
I am trying to keep his intake of the algae in check by doing what I said above. He eats pellets and twice a week gets blood worms. I have thought about trying to find him live food, like mosquito larvae, flies and the such, but haven't got around to it yet.

Your doing great just keep it up your betta is glad to have a good owner like you.

If your interested in live food you can get real close by buying frozen. It still has the same nutrients and its easier to do because you dont have to keep anything alive and the bettas eat it like its lobster to us.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #9 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust View Post
Dont worry your doing fine. If you wanted something like live food then you should buy frozen food its just as good for them and its easier because you dont have to keep anything alive.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #10 
Adastra

Many people cup their bettas while they feed other tank dwellers--this is a good idea especially if you have otos in the tank. Overwhelming amounts of otoclinus catfish die from starvation in the aquarium. This is because they are wild caught and are often reluctant to eat prepared foods.

Other people train their bettas to swim into a trap--you can make a "trap" out of needlepoint canvas which is only about a dollar for 5 sheets in the craft section. They train the fish to swim into the trap by luring them in with food. This is another good way to deal with this problem.

I'm also a fan of frozen foods--they are guaranteed sterilized and much less of a hassle. I use frozen blood worms and brine shrimp 2-3 times a week.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-08-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote