Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #11 
FloridaBettas239

I cant believe so many people have problem's with over feeding. I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 cory's 3 female bettas 1 male betta and a bushy nose pleco. I have gave them brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worm's, flake food, betta pellet's everything, and ive done it 2 and sometime's 3 times's a day for year's and have never had one problem, knock on wood. I put algae waffer's bottom feeder food everything and never have a problem and i hear all these people saying they have had all these problem's like there dumping handfulls of the food in or something.

They tell you at the pet store online and every where else a fish has a stomach as big as its eye so feed it that much give or take a little it's not a big deal if they dont get enough in the am trust me if there hungery they will make up for it when you feed in the pm
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #12 
Adastra

You have all of that in one tank?! Tell me I misunderstood.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #13 
FloridaBettas239

Sorry it's my 20 gallon all that is in not my 10 i do have cory's and suff in a 10 but anyway.

Yes i have 3 females and one male betta in a tank he dont never pick on them because there's more than one so we he start's to go after one he will see another and stop to look at her plus there is so much java fern and java moss he cant get them and another thing that makes them not fight is they are all brother and sister they have been around each other since birth so it's just like another day to them and with all the other fish moving around nothing ever happen's.

The one thing that supprised me is i went to take the male out and sell him to my friend who had to have him. the thing was before i could put the lid on the cup so he could take him home the female's started having a stand off then went to nipping fin's so i put him back in and he went running at them and ran them off. They havent tried to fight again its like he keep's them in check so my friend was sad i wasnt able to sell him that betta i had to leave him in there.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #14 
Adastra

Thank goodness all that isn't in one ten gallon, lol. BN Plecos can get to be like 5in, so definitely not a fish you'd want in a ten gallon. :)

I still don't agree that it's safe to keep a male with three females, your tank might be ok right now, but I don't want someone new to the forum thinking that they can do the same thing and have the same result, y'know? Just adding a disclaimer. :) Hopefully when the fighting happens you'll be able to separate them before anyone gets hurt.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #15 
stardust

I'll have to check to see if they have frozen blood worms at the pet store. Things are so different here, so there is no telling. lol

Note on the ottos: Ours are not shy about food whatsoever. They ate the algae wafer with no problem and they're making their way through the zuchinni. I am thinking I will have to fix up their next veggie meal tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your tips.
stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #16 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Thank goodness all that isn't in one ten gallon, lol. BN Plecos can get to be like 5in, so definitely not a fish you'd want in a ten gallon. :)

I still don't agree that it's safe to keep a male with three females, your tank might be ok right now, but I don't want someone new to the forum thinking that they can do the same thing and have the same result, y'know? Just adding a disclaimer. :) Hopefully when the fighting happens you'll be able to separate them before anyone gets hurt.

Yeah your right i couldnt do that with any of my other bettas im sure they would fight. But this tank has been going for over a year like this without any deaths besides an african dwraf frog but thats it everyone does fine, And ive heard of other's having male's and female's together the experts say if your going to do it there has to be 3 or more female and still you have to watch out i had a female so mean i tried to breed her and she destroyed the male i couldnt believe a female beat up a male lol anyway i no every fish is different and every tank is different.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #17 
vaygirl

It's probably the fact that we DON'T feed them much that contributes to food stealing. I don't know about your bettas, but Tango finishes his 6 pellets in about 5 seconds. On the other hand, it takes my four corys 15 minutes to finish off their pellet and a half.

Before I started separating him, he would finish off his own food and immediately go after my corys sinking pellets. When it got to the point where he was resting on a heater bracket because he was ill and bloated from over-eating, I had to start breeder-cupping him.

As with all things, it depends on the fish. Tango essentially learned to be a cory. He follows them around as they forage, hoping to steal what they find. He watches them like a hawk for signs of a pellet. I'd have never gotten a pellet past him if I didn't isolate him. He's too damn smart and watchful. :)

Edit: I should also clarify that my corys get shrimp pellets vs. algae pellets for otos, which probably also contributes to Tango's unrelenting interest.

Last edited by vaygirl; 07-08-2010 at 04:55 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Adastra about keeping males and females together.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #19 
stardust

I wonder if I need to feed McQueen more. He usually gets five pellets per day split between two feedings. He's in a 5 gallon tank and is active. He's more active with the ottos in there. He is always checking them out and when they're aren't together, he is on the go constantly seeing what they're doing.
stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #20 
vaygirl

I only feed Tango once a day, 6 pellets. So it's roughly the same amount you're feeding.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote