Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #21 
BlackLabelAxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogipoi View Post
Too much money for a live plant.....
Come on now...even in Hawai'i I can get bunched plants for $1. Be careful who you buy from, as was said already- you can take home Malaysian trumpet snails without even knowing. The first 5 or so are cute; the next 100 become a problem!

+1 on the natural tanks...I don't know how any tropical fish can live a happy life without some kind of vegetation around them. Plus, it improves the water chemistry!
BlackLabelAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #22 
SleepyRN

It's common knowledge that Americans are fat, lazy and stupid. I work 60 hours a week and hardly ever get a day off (when I do, I sleep) and don't have the time to cut plants or deal with dying one's (or dying fish for that matter).

Most Americans would rather spend double the amount on fake plants if it means they can neglect their tank just a bit longer.

Of course... this is all just a generalization :D
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #23 
Felessan

Wink

I have a silk plant and 3 real plants I love my silk plant because it is a fake model of my favorite SALT water plant and i can't have that in my FRESH water bowl. am I the only one like that?

Ps I don't still have my .5 gal bowl I now have a 5 gal bowl!
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #24 
BlackLabelAxe

Felessan, I know how you feel. Some plants are better represented by plastic because it will drive you crazy trying to keep them!

Example: Madagascar Lace Plant. Few plants are more beautiful but it really can't get more delicate or expensive or rare-to-find than that! Fish love to eat it and it needs 60-65 (F) water. Or, the plastic one looks the same and requires nothing.

You just need at least one real plant!
BlackLabelAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #25 
SleepyRN

I'm just saying comparing Americans to Europeans is like comparing apples to oranges!
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #26 
windfire

i have all natural plants as personally i cant stand the fake stuff ! planted tanks arent that much work, i dont use CO2 or much fertilizers and mine do great! what you could try is the method im using now in my new setup. using palmfiber peat soaked in chemicult and then capping it with gravel, it provides nutrients via the roots rather than in the water column and use plants that are low mantaince such as the anubias nana, java ferns and mosses.
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #27 
Mermaid Fish

ehem some people here are american. Ok i'm canadian...but still
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #28 
Felessan

I know i only need 1 real plant but the more the merryer!
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #29 
FloridaBettas239

I have to say i am an american and not lazy, Me and my wife own a farm with 3 horses, 15 fish tanks, 3 dog's, 2 pig's, 2 cow's 4 sugar glider's and she has a cleaning business and i have a pressure cleaning business so with all that going on. we have all live plant's plus are betta breeding bussiness plus selling sugar gliders and taking care of horses, cow's all that and still have live plant's we still work and then come home like normal i dont get what your comment was supposed to mean. There's lazy people every where so in the world!!!!

Anyway back to the thread i guess ive been lucky but i just own hardy plant's my 55 and 20 gallon tropical tank's are full of java fern and we never have to do anything it even spreads out and grows bigger we never do anything with it but mabey every 3 or 6 month's it doesnt have to do with lazy or not. I like the fact that my fish are in the most natural inviorment i can make for them. sand with some rocks here and there on the bottom like a pond or river and real plants that breath and are food also its not that hard to take care of them and if there's no pet store there are plenty of places on the net and to tell you the truth you get a better deal on the net because of course pet stores mark it up plus the sellers online will give you more leaves in a bundle like 10 instead of the pet store 4 or 6.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

I agree with FloridaBettas, by using live plants you can create a more natural environment for the fish and this in turn can help stress levels and water quality.
And they are beautiful to look at and amazing to watch the fish that show a more natural behavior in a planted tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote