Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #1 
ThePearlFish

I am so discouraged about my bettas

UGH!!!! I feel like such a bad betta keeper!! :( Phantom passed away! and I have been doing daily/everyother day 50-100% changes to try to treat for fin loss, adding NovAqua+ which has aloe and echinachea and adding just a bit of Pimafix to each h2o change and WTH!! I am feeling very discouraged and I only have Firefly, Firedrake and Spartan left (and my friend's Betta). my 3 cory cats are like sooo Sturdy and I only have them in a little KK right now. What the heck again! I feel like I am doing everything right to. everyone, except for my friend's betta and the corycats, has a heater and they all are eating and swimming and Spartan makes bubble nests and urrrgh!

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble with them, it makes me want to cry, cus even though I don't have a bond with them like my other pets, they are all sooo special to me :( :(

I am not quite sure what I am going to do with all my fish tanks now that I have a few empty ones. I am scared to go get more to fill them, and then have THOSE bettas die at my obviously incapable hands :(
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind of trouble are you having?

Don't be so hard on yourself either...sometimes you buy already sick or injured fish and no matter what you do they can die and it sounds like you are being proactive in their care...stuff happens, we learn, and move on...hang in there......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #3 
ThePearlFish

Well, for some reason it seems like their tails are disintegrating, I don't know exactly if it is like fin rot though, cus when researching it it seems like usually you can see some white around the edges where the fin is starting to die, but in mine you don't. It seems like mine loose some tail, then start to get lethargic (even with a heater) then don't eat even of pellets are right in front of their face, then the next day they are dead.

They are all in separate 2.5g's and Firedrake, one of them, it seems like his tail isn't getting any shorter right now, but I don't see growth in his tail, since I am assuming, just like a cut on a human, it takes a while before you can visibly see changes in healing.

For now I think I am not going to get any more bettas for my empty tanks, but I am going to focus on the ones I have and when I am satisfied that they are starting to heal well, then I might get two more for my empty tanks again.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a good plan.......

What kind of water change schedule do you have, it sounds like you may be getting sick fish to start if this is happening within a week or so after you get them
What kind of water do you use?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #5 
ThePearlFish

I use my tap water then treat it with an h2o conditioner to get rid of everything in the tap water. Then I plug in all heaters and wait till all temps. in the tanks are within a safe range or stay steady enough, then slowly acclimate the fish to the tanks over a period of a 1/2 hr-1 hr in their cups, really more depending on if I forget they are still in their cups and go off to do other things.

Right now I am trying to clean my "sick" fishes tanks every day or every other day, with either 50% changes (if it is daily) or 100% changes (if I skip a day cus I am busy and do an every other day change).

With my healthy ones I am on a schedule of 2x a week do a 50% and once a week do a 100% since I am really busy lately and can't always clean all 5 (now after a few deaths) in one day.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you are doing things correct....IMO
Do you know if you have hard or soft water
How soon after you get the Betta is it showing symptoms
And do you have filters in their tanks
Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #7 
ThePearlFish

I don't have filters in my tanks. I don't know if I have hard or soft water to be honest. I was thinking about maybe getting filters eventually. The 2 most recent bettas I got that passed away died within a 2-3 weeks. One was okay, but died after showing signs of mild Ich and the other I noticed had fin nips in his cup at the store, but I got him cus I am almost 100% positive that he was the same one I saw in February I believe. So I wanted to get him out and he was soo pretty I am surprised that no one got him earlier.

The other one, after I got him into a 2.5g, he hung on for about a good month.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

Your schedule sounds good to me.
I would stop using the Pimafix and just use the water conditioner.
I got very discouraged too after 3 of my bettas died, 2 comitted betta-cide by jumping out of their tanks and 1 got stuck under one of my rocks and drowned.
Still, I felt like a horrible betta mom and almost gave up.
Currently I'm very happy with my fish and have gotten the handle on proper betta care.
Are you sure they are not tail biters?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Personally I don't like to use filters on my smaller Betta tanks, I found that filters on the less than 3g size tanks caused too much fin damage from the current.
I use live plants and water changes as my filtration in a sense.....
IMO/E-even with filtration you still need to make twice weekly water changes on small tank-so I don't worry about cycling and since I use lots of live plants I don't need to make any 100% water changes either to maintain water quality without a filter.

IMO-it sounds like you may be buying fish that may not be in the best of health to start....so you have your work cut-out for you from the get-go....

Sometimes with hard water, some Bettas fins can be more sensitive than others especially if they came from soft water to start.
I don't advocate use of chemicals to altar water, however, with some of my CT's I have to use rainwater to keep the rays from melting. I also use native oak leaves and peatmoss in some of my tanks to altar the hardness to a very small degree.
The fry from these sensitive CT's are reared in my hard water and don't seem to have the same problem as adults with rays dropping like the breeders...
I bring this up because sometimes when you have a stubborn case of fin issues or fins that never seem to heal or grow back-the use of softer water can help, but not always, this is just what has worked for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
UGH!!!! I feel like such a bad betta keeper!! :( Phantom passed away! and I have been doing daily/everyother day 50-100% changes to try to treat for fin loss, adding NovAqua+ which has aloe and echinachea and adding just a bit of Pimafix to each h2o change and WTH!! I am feeling very discouraged and I only have Firefly, Firedrake and Spartan left (and my friend's Betta). my 3 cory cats are like sooo Sturdy and I only have them in a little KK right now. What the heck again! I feel like I am doing everything right to. everyone, except for my friend's betta and the corycats, has a heater and they all are eating and swimming and Spartan makes bubble nests and urrrgh!

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble with them, it makes me want to cry, cus even though I don't have a bond with them like my other pets, they are all sooo special to me :( :(

I am not quite sure what I am going to do with all my fish tanks now that I have a few empty ones. I am scared to go get more to fill them, and then have THOSE bettas die at my obviously incapable hands :(
I might consider placing small sponge filter in tanks holding bettas ,and perform water changes twice a week of fifty percent while leaving the betta in the tank. At the four or five week mark, the sponge filters will have developed some good bacteria to help process ammonia from fish waste (poop), and food and after this bacteria has established itself, then one weekly water change of fifty percent will be all that is needed.
Sponge filters produce next to no current and should not bother the fish too much.
Would also call local water company for info as to whether the water from the tap is treated with chlorine,,or chloramine. if it is the latter, I would switch to water conditioner such as PRIME or AMQUEL+ that both detoxify the ammonia portion of chloramine that may be in your tap water. Many water conditioners only remove/detoxify chlorine portion of chloramines ,and bacteria in the filter are responsible for the ammonia portion of chloramines. Without a filter,, the water conditioner you are using is detoxifying the chlorine portion of chloramine if indeed tapwater is treated with chloramine ,but doing nothing for the ammonia. Chloramine is a combination of the two.
Would use conditioner such as two mentioned if indeed the tap water is being treated with chloramine rather than chlorine. Without such a conditioner, when large water changes are performed,, the ammonia from chloramines could be contributing to the problem.
Should you choose to try sponge filters ,just squeeze them out once evry couple weeks taking care not to clean them with tapwater but rather old aquarium water or dechlorinated water.
Hope some of this helps.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote