Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #1 
SemioticSleep

Arrow Coating on waters surface.

This has become a problem for two of my female bettas but it dosen't show up in my males tank. It's almost like a slimy oil substance. One person suggested to me that it could be dust but I doubt it. Also one said that it could be the fish oil from the food, but it is not. Lastly a person suggested to me to just take a paper towel and wipe it off the surface. But to me that isn't correcting the problem cause it shouldn't be happening at all also it reapears in a few days I was wondering what this may be. Any Ideas???
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Do you have filters or airstone in the tanks, what kind of substrate, any live plants, uneaten food removed, size of the tanks.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #3 
SemioticSleep

Last night I put in an airstone,gravel, and bamboo. she has no uneaten food and her tank is 4 liters and the other tanks is 2. I cleaned her tank last night and the stuff hasn't appeared again but I think that is b/c of the airstone, also she is clamping her fins odd b/c she is aggresive and it looks like she has slimy stuff on her. Parasite???(the other one does not have these symptons)
Old 07-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Usually the oily surface scum is organic and harmless on the most part, just looks bad.
Using a paper towel will help to rid it and then make some 100% water changes since you don't have a filter, water movement will help keep it broke up so you don't notice it as much.
If the tank is close to the kitchen the oils and smoke can cause it, oils from your hands and food can cause it.
Rotting plants is a big cause and the bamboo can create a slim and rot if more than just the roots are in the water.

Clamping can be a sign of too cold or poor water quality, I would start by stepping up your regular water changes to 50% water only twice a week and once a week make a 100% water change in that size of tanks without filtration.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #5 
SemioticSleep

She has unclamped her fins, I didn't put enough water conditioner and Since i took the bamboo out it is no longer there I also have been putting the airstone in at night and the slime has not appeared. I also put salt. Thank you
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Yeah that stuff showed up after I missed one of my daily water changes in the 2 gallon. It only shows up if I miss a day. Glad the airstone and waterchange cleared it up for you! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #7 
dipsydoodlenoodle

I was told it was partially due to the oil on our skin
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #8 
SemioticSleep

Well the slime has not come back but it seems I have another problem -.- I'm not sure what it was but they were little tiny dots jerking around in the water. I didn't want to take any chances so I did a 100% water change. One person recommend dahpnia but I doubt it. Any Ideas??? I couldn't get any pictures cause they were too small

Tags
betta, female, slimy, water