Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #1 
LucyLoofa

Exclamation Patriot Is Still Struggling

He's been sick for a while now. After the first occurrence of fin rot and clamp he recovered and got well again. His fins were growing back rapidly.
Then after switching him into a gallon jar I got from Wally he developed fin rot again.
It hasn't gone away since.
I've followed all of Old Fish Lady's instructions. I've followed everyone else's instructions.
I have spent over 200 dollars on him.
I can't spend any more money. I just don't have any more to spend.
I will try taking him off of his salt baths again for a week and starting it back up again later.
I'm looking at him now as I type and he has a random hole in his dorsal fin.
I'm convinced it's from the rot that won't leave him.
Now he's having trouble swimming because of said hole, even though it's tiny the current from the incredibly small whisper filter I just bought him is flowing through it.
I would give you a picture but they don't work half the time anymore.
I have no idea what to do anymore.
I'm going to update with parameters in a few minutes. Gonna test the water after I post.

If he dies I really don't think I'll ever get another.
Gunther, my first, lived 8 months.
He died from my ignorance.
He was in a 1 gallon aquaview, and the room was a constant 98-100 degrees, not to mention the heat from the incandescent. He was far too hot.
I also had him in a tank with plastic plants that effectively helped to rip his fins.
The Second, Independence, died purely from accident... but in my opinion still ignorance.
He died from water shock because I was too eager to get him and patriot in cleaner water and a better home.
I should have checked the temperature first but it completely slipped my mind.

If Patriot dies there is no excuse. His immune system has been weak ever since the water shock he lived through.
It's my fault.
I have been given every opportunity and every piece of advice to get him better, and have still failed to do so.
I have no idea if this rot will ever go away. I've lost hope of it anyways.
I will still treat him continually, every day as I have been doing, with the utmost care and attention.
What I want to know is your HONEST opinions. I want to know the Truth.
I don't want sympathy, I don't want sugar coating.
I also don't want Alienbetta1 or anyone else spamming this thread for a higher post count when they can't give any solid advice or experienced opinions. This has nothing to do with age. It has to do with experience.
Honestly, tell me if I'm just horrible at this.
If I am I'll give my tanks and my Patriot to my sister, Wally.
She hasn't had nearly as much trouble with her fish and I know she'd love to have him.
If I'm not any extra advice would be wonderful, but I can see why I wouldn't be given any.
I want the best for this fish, whether it is me taking care of him or not. And if giving him away is the best choice I'll do it.
I apologize for wasting your time.
-Lucy-Kate.

Last edited by LucyLoofa; 07-08-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling errors. and additions
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Don't be so hard on yourself! It sounds to me like you've done the best you can with him. As far as mistakes go, we've all made mistakes with our fish. You've gotten some great advice here and if it hasn't worked then ... well, you've done everything that you can. If you weren't a good fish parent then you wouldn't have come here for help. I would try the salt baths again later, like you said. Good luck to you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I am with dramaqueen.....take a deep breath and lets start over.....

You want honest...
In the 1g-take out the filter to start, keep making the water changes, no salt for now
Sometimes you can over treat, you can do too much
You need to give the fish time to heal and not expect things to get better over night
A little hole in his fin should not be a problem but you can make it a problem with too strong of water flow
Back up and take a deep breath and give him a chance and time

A pic would really be helpful can wally take one for you

It is really hard to diagnosis a fish without seeing it first hand, even pic cannot tell the whole story but they can help.

How long has he been sick this last time (number of days) and tell us everything that is going on-behavior change, physical change, symptoms...etc.....
Treatment-what have you tried-how much and how long
Water changes how much and how often
Sorry-I don't remember everything that has gone on with your fish..so I need a re-cap
And you are not a bad fish keeper, remember sometimes we get sick fish to start and sometimes no matter how much we try and do...the fish will still die........and we did nothing wrong...it just happens and when we know in our heart that we provided the best care...what more can you do....so don't give up......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #4 
kirby13580

yeah, we do need a pic
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

I agree with OFL and DQ but you already know that. =P And you also know that I WONT be taking Patriot because I can BARELY take care of one betta let alone 2. That's how Alakazam died. =[
Also if he dies he should die in a place that's nice and familiar with his favorite person in the world (that's you btw. =]).
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh! I was asked to post about his personality as Lucy can't get online atm.

He's a FEISTY little guy! He's one of those that blow bubble nests in TINY enclosures, glass surfs, darts about, explores stuff like an adventurer, and flares at your finger! He's a fighter so I believe that he'll get better soon! =] He's just so pretty, and SO CUTE!!!! <3

He's got loads of personality too which is probably why she seems so upset about this and upset with herself. She REALLY loves that little guy! <3

YOU would too if you met him! Trust me. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hang in there Lucy! We're hoping for the best for Patrioy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote