Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #1 
SemioticSleep

Smile Walmart & Petco

I feel like ranting right now. A person recently on youtube told me that They like to go to walmart throw water all over the fish aisle and put the betta's in water jugs!!! 0.o why would you even do that?? It's mean for the person who has to clean it up and the bettas for getting shocked into their new enviroment. Then what if someone buys the water??? The bettas are kept in those small jars as temporary homes do you really expect petco and walmart to put them each in 5g tanks? So then what also ticks me off is when ppl say walmart is evil and don't buy your fish from them. Well think about it if you buy your fish from them you will be saving them in a sense. Actually no pet store can properly take care of fish, it's just to big of a job that's why it's up to you to take into consideration buying the fish and giving it a better home than it could ever dream of :) I love animals and I'm sure you do too! Please don't bash other stores and discourage someone from having a happy betta.
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #2 
Felessan

by buying a fish from petco or any other chain store you are contributing to the fish in a cup market wich we all know and hate if you think about it by buying a fish in a cup you are just opening up a new spot for a nother fish in a cup!
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #3 
JKfish

both of you are correct. In my opinion, yes, petstores are temporary homes for bettas, and it's not bad to buy from the LFS, but when you do, making an effort to buy from LFS that take good care of their fish, and keep them in clean containers with few sick fish will not be supporting and 'evil' store. While you are buying from a Petco or Walmart, you are also supporting that one store, and you have the comfort of knowing that the fish replacing the one you bought will be in a small but clean enviornment until he is bought.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #4 
decamptownlady

I got mine from Petland Discount. Yes, the fish were in small bowls, but all seemed to have fresh water and were tended to.
decamptownlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #5 
SemioticSleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felessan View Post
by buying a fish from petco or any other chain store you are contributing to the fish in a cup market wich we all know and hate if you think about it by buying a fish in a cup you are just opening up a new spot for a nother fish in a cup!
so is there some magical and amazing pet store that doesn't sell them in jars or cups? Even non chain stores in my area sell them in small jars. The walmart in my area really does a good job with keeping the fish and they always get bought, the only ones that are left behind are the sick or unhealthy looking ones. So when someone does go to the fish aisle they see all the sick fish but when in reality all the healthy ones got bought.

I'm only saying this b/c another person was discouraging another person from buying their Betta from walmart, when that Betta could have had a lovely home, so they went to petco which is just as worse. Helping a chain store or not I would rather give a Betta an amazing home than spite a store.
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #6 
Miharu
Banned

I dont know if everyone knows this but stores like Walmart, petco, petsmart ect. have their employees keep a daily tally of all of the fish that pass away at the store. The stores are then reimbursed by the suppliers for the fish that pass away. So if a fish dies on the shelves or in the tanks the stores do not lose any money. I dont agree that buying from those places is encouraging them really, I mean whether you buy the fish or it dies in the store, no money is lost, and a spot still opens up for a new fish, just food for thought!
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #7 
Blaxicanlatino

I love all animals, God I love animals and would love to save them all... but buying them would be supporting the bad habit... i dont discourage it either cause my first betta was purchased from a horrible petstore ^^ i love em so ^^
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #8 
bettacare

I haven't been to petland we don't have one here in my area, but the wallmart I visit alwasy seems to be ok in those regards..
bettacare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #9 
MrVampire181

Interesting Miharu...so really the whole by buying a fish you're contributing to the problem should be dismissed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #10 
demonicangel132007

What if you are like me and don't have any other option of buying a fish unless it comes from Wal-Mart or PetSmart (okay, I wouldn't do Petsmart because that would be too long of a car ride for the poor fish as opposed to Wal-Mart being ten minutes away but you get the idea, right?) and if you can't afford the shipping costs of Aquabid or eBay?
demonicangel132007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
petco walmart fish store