Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #1 
FloridaBettas239

1 inch of fish per gallon?

Okay so i dont understand when people see a tank with a couple more inches of fish more than they should have in it people start saying mean things and talking crap when the guy at the pet store told me and this makes since. That if you have a big enough filter to keep up with the ammount of fish you have in there everything will be ok. Yes you dont want a filter so big it makes the water like a hurricane. And you dont want a fish that is 8 inches long thats in a tank thats 24 long but only 11 wide so when the fish goes to turn around he almost cant do it. But with that said it is ok to have a couple extra 3 inch barbs or whatever fish you like thats around 3 inches.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You also have to consider the fish needs, like social, territory and swimming needs, just because you can fit X amount a fish in a small space does not mean you are meeting their needs.
And a big filter will not change the fact of needed water changes and overcrowded tanks needs more and larger water changes

You don't want to put a 10in fish in a 10g tank-waste habits, feeding habit, swimming needs all should be part of the picture.

And a fish store guy (most not all) will tell you what you want to hear in order to sell you something and they don't want the fish to live to their fullest either....short life means you will be back for more fish and stuff because it got sick due to stress in overcrowded conditions.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I'm not really sure what your trying to get at but the inch of fish per gallon rule is a very very basic guideline. Much much more comes into play when stocking. You have to look at how much waste the species produces, plant growth, surface area, oxygenation etc
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #4 
Learn To Fly

If it's an inch per fish, and that's what the petstore guys are saying, then how come they don't tell you a betta needs a 2.5 gal (that's about how big they are, anyway). A betta is a fish, right? This is a case where that rule would work very well. They are being hypocrites! Lol, anyway to get back to the subject, I agree with Oldfishlady and 1f2f. You can't keep a 10 inch goldfish in a 10 gallon without daily water changes and a very good filter. They produce way too much waste!
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #5 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Don't even put a Goldfish in a 10g.Way to messy!
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #6 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienbetta1 View Post
Don't even put a Goldfish in a 10g.Way to messy!
This is a good example. It depends on the fish, filter, etc.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #7 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Yeah I guess so Campbell.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #8 
FloridaBettas239

I said it wouldnt be cool to have a 6 inch fish in a tank thats only 11 inches deep like a 10 gallon when they go to turn around they wont have much room. but lets just say i have a 10 gallon and i have 3 inch tiger barbs that means i can only put 3 which = 9 inches and barbs are a schooling fish which like 5 or more. so it wouldnt hurt to have 4 of them and a sucker fish that only get 4 or 5 inches like a rubber lip sucker all of them still have tons of room and everything but if you add it up theres 17 inches but it dont seem like it everyone has plenty of swimming room and thats with 2 plants and a some drift wood so by rule of thumb i am over 7 inches but you cant tell and its more room then they had at the pet store plus i have a filter thats for a 20 - 40 gallon tank which dose not make a hurricane in the tank like i thought and ive tested it for months and months without a problem. So its what filter, fish, tank ect that matter
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #9 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
I said it wouldnt be cool to have a 6 inch fish in a tank thats only 11 inches deep like a 10 gallon when they go to turn around they wont have much room. but lets just say i have a 10 gallon and i have 3 inch tiger barbs that means i can only put 3 which = 9 inches and barbs are a schooling fish which like 5 or more. so it wouldnt hurt to have 4 of them and a sucker fish that only get 4 or 5 inches like a rubber lip sucker all of them still have tons of room and everything but if you add it up theres 17 inches but it dont seem like it everyone has plenty of swimming room and thats with 2 plants and a some drift wood so by rule of thumb i am over 7 inches but you cant tell and its more room then they had at the pet store plus i have a filter thats for a 20 - 40 gallon tank which dose not make a hurricane in the tank like i thought and ive tested it for months and months without a problem. So its what filter, fish, tank ect that matter
I would say that the tiger barbs would be fine-I don't think they produce that much waste. Also a bristlenose pleco is a great choice...I don't know about their waste. I think (or know, in bristlenoses' case) that plecos need real driftwood in their tanks.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Overstocking (to a point) CAN be done!! My 75 gal. African cichlid tank is overstocked due to their breeding. HOWEVER, I have two large filters on that tank (one on each end) and I am a FANATIC about my water changes.

Just a FYI - overstocking of African cichlid tanks is pretty common IMO/E as it helps spread out aggression. At least it works out that way for me!! Also, I think they know they are at their limit in that tank as there have not been any new broods in quite a while.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote