Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #11 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby13580 View Post
its fine!! Just you have to change the water often.
You'd have to do water changes like 3 or 4 times a day with that awful thing! =/ It'd stress your betta out so much that it'd probably die from poor water quality or stress in probably a month or 2 if it's lucky. that things a coffin and I agree that I wouldn't even put a plant in there for long. =/
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #12 
Adastra

The only thing that tank is suited for is gathering dust. The person who designed this container should die in a fire, in my opinion.

Idk, I think invertebrates are very interesting and very entertaining to watch--they deserve to have a real tank where they have hiding places to feel secure and various things to climb on. Many varieties also require stable heat. I suggest getting a 2 gallon tank with a filter and cycling it--with such a low bioload it shouldn't be hard to maintain the cycle and catching all the shrimp for 100% waterchanges is downright impractical. A 2 gallon tank with a small piece of driftwood and a couple of marimo balls or some java moss would be very interesting to watch and easy to maintain. Red cherry shrimp would likely reproduce if the tank was taken care of, which adds a whole new and interesting dimension to shrimp keeping.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-09-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #13 
Welsh

I just want to make it clear that I am not purchasing this "tank" for anything, I just wanted to see what peoples opinions would be on something this small for a betta. Most people who have replied think its near enough outrageous to put a betta in it where as others, newbie or otherwise may find it suitable.

For me personally I wouldn't put an ant in there to live but it does go to show how under-estimated these fish really are.

I will be getting a suitable tank for the shrimp trust me.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #14 
Sarada

no...i made that mistake at first, unless you do daily water changes which stress out the fish...
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #15 
peaches3221

only if you change the water every three days, which i don't recommend because it would stress out your fish. get a half gallon, then you will only have to clean it once a week
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #16 
FloridaBettas239

I would put a betta in it. If it's only for a week or two, But no more than that. I would put him in there if i was trying to sell him and my local pet store was letting me put him on there shelf. I would just for a week. but not long term no way. I cant believe that .3 gallon not even a half wow.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #17 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serox View Post
Well, no.
And that petshop puts "where pets come first" lol...
realistically I don't think most people consider fish "pets"
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #18 
Beethoven

When I first got my betta I was under the very wrong impression that they LIKE small tanks. He was in something just a little bigger than that. It was about 1.5 liters. I did two water changes a week and my betta was very happy at first since Petland kept him in something MUCH smaller with dirty water but he grew tired and lethargic. He developed fin rot and lost his color. He's now in a 1.5 gallon vase. I still do two water changes a week because I'm much more educated and he's so happy. I wouldn't put a betta in anything smaller than 1.5 gallons. In fact, I'm looking into a 2.5 gallon here in the next month or so. Despite popular belief, Bettas want room to swim and be looked at. They want hiding places so they don't get stressed and they want to feel comfortable just like us. In a tank that small, a betta would be on top of itself trying to move around. It would be so sad. =(

I'm glad you would never put a betta in this. You're a good person for understanding.
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #19 
TheJadeBetta

No I wouldn't put my betta in that. I have seen worse, though. My LPS has tiny bowls they keep their Bettas in and they even sell some with stands.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #20 
Adastra

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
only if you change the water every three days, which i don't recommend because it would stress out your fish. get a half gallon, then you will only have to clean it once a week
I would change a half gallon 100% at least three times a week. Even with pristine water, half gallon tanks are too small to safely heat, and they don't provide enough room for exercise and behavioral enrichment--I would not permanently house a betta in anything but a bare minimum of 2 gallons, since at least containers of this size can be heated safely with a quality heater.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote