Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #11 
spongebob

sorry if it came out as if i was mad but the water was so dirty. like as if no water change in 2 months.

i am thinking about asking who ever owns it whether i can adopt it and give it proper care or atleast that they look after it properly
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #12 
shmifty5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
IMO this is ridiculous. Yes, people should do research before they purchase a pet BUT just because they didn't does not by any means make them cruel. I know many people on this forum started out not knowing a thing about betas, and if they were approached by someone who acted hostile like you are suggesting they might have been discouraged from the hobby. A conversation isn't going to hurt anything. The person might just need to be educated. It might not work, but its definitely worth a try. It that doesn't work grater measures can be taken, but even those should be approached a decent attitude.
Let's put this same situation to a different pet shall we? how about if they kept a great dane in a small sized puppy transport kennel? what if they kept a full sized bearded dragon in a 10 gallon tank? what about a full grown corn snake in a 5 gallon tank?

The examples go on and on, add to that the description seems to show a classic "they can live in the vase and eat the roots" betta set-up, which as we know, bettas can't properly digest or metabolize vegetable matter and those vases tend to be much too small, again I must stress that ignorance isn't a defense, it takes roughly 2 minutes for my mom (internet unable) to google "betta care" and find a care sheet which lists 5 gals as best, 2.5 gals as acceptable, heater and proper diet needed to thrive, etc.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #13 
spongebob

exactly my point.

thankyou shmifty5
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #14 
SleepyRN

Ignorance isn't an excuse - you're are correct. Just like ignorance is no excuse for not knowing the law or taking care of your body.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the OP on sharing information, we are merely trying to suggest respect for the employees... whether you think they deserve it or not.

Personally, I think how you approach these people is key to how the Betta will [or will not] survive.
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #15 
SemioticSleep

blah blah blah :)
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 AM   #16 
spongebob

lol
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #17 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
i am thinking about asking who ever owns it whether i can adopt it and give it proper care or atleast that they look after it properly
If the water was super dirty that probably means they're sick of changing it and might not mind giving him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
Let's put this same situation to a different pet shall we? how about if they kept a great dane in a small sized puppy transport kennel? what if they kept a full sized bearded dragon in a 10 gallon tank? what about a full grown corn snake in a 5 gallon tank?
But you have to remember it is a common misconception that betas only need a small tank. The people might have even been misinformed by the pet store employee. And I never said it should be excused. I just thought a conversation was worth a try.

Last edited by Campbell; 07-10-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote