Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #1 
Jdh

What type of gravel should I get?

Hi all,
I'm currently reconstructing my aquarium/about to start cycling it and was wondering what type of gravel I should get. I think having a few live plants might be interesting and good for the fish, but nothing that would get out of control and become high-maintenance. Should I buy regular decor gravel, or get some Substrate?
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #2 
Welsh

If you are going to get gravel and use live plants then make sure the gravel is pea-sized this will make it easier to plant the plants :) also I would like to add that smooth gravel is probably best for your betta since their fins are so delicate

Easy to maintain plants would be.... Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Crypts. These are all low-light plants and grow slowly so you won't wake up one morning to the amazon jungle (If im wrong im sure someone will correct me) lol

IMO a nice plant is Hygrophilia, I have it in my bettas tank and it does grow quite fast but its nothing to just trim it every couple of weeks plus under the right light it looks flourescent green, I love it :)

Sand is a nightmare to keep clean especially if you have a lot of fish with a high bioload but if you are just having the one fish it should be easy to maintain. I use the siphon from my gravel vaccum and hover lightly just above the sand, it sucks up all the dirt and leaves the sand :)

Last edited by Welsh; 07-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #3 
Sarada

I think it's pretty much personal choice. Although I don't know how those with sand vacuum it.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #4 
Adastra

Personally, I prefer natural gravels. Ones that have been colored or painted artificially have given me problems in the past and they don't look very good either, in my opinion. I use either small natural round river gravel or Eco Complete in all my tanks. Eco Complete is good for planted tanks because it's enriched with iron and other nutrients for the plants to feed on--it's also naturally black and black gravel helps disguise messes and makes your fish and plants really pop.

Also, don't be scared of plants. Even the tanks I dose with Excel every day are low maintenance--I only have to prune maybe every couple of months.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #5 
Sicklidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Easy to maintain plants would be.... Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Crypts. These are all low-light plants and grow slowly so you won't wake up one morning to the amazon jungle (If im wrong im sure someone will correct me) lol
Yea, those are all low light.

The thing about crypts though... is that when you move them, they melt but they usually come back.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #6 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Personally, I prefer natural gravels. Ones that have been colored or painted artificially have given me problems in the past and they don't look very good either, in my opinion. I use either small natural round river gravel or Eco Complete in all my tanks. Eco Complete is good for planted tanks because it's enriched with iron and other nutrients for the plants to feed on--it's also naturally black and black gravel helps disguise messes and makes your fish and plants really pop.

Also, don't be scared of plants. Even the tanks I dose with Excel every day are low maintenance--I only have to prune maybe every couple of months.
I agree black gravel really makes my betta pop and I dont mean to brag but he looks awesome :p

I didnt realise you were supposed to fert everyday, I do it with every water change and use tetra plantamin, any wonder they dont grow much lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #7 
Sicklidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
I didnt realise you were supposed to fert everyday, I do it with every water change and use tetra plantamin, any wonder they dont grow much lol
It depends on your dosing method of choice.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #8 
Jdh

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look into those plants. (The Javas look really nice!)

I'm still a little confused to how Substrate is actually put into the tank. Do you put it under decorative gravel, or just make the whole aquarium bed out of it? (I'm looking at the peaceful river substrate on this page: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...2&pcatid=21412)
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #9 
Sarada

Good to know...now I need to go buy more stuff(fertalizer) cuz I just ordered some moss.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #10 
Sarada

Whole aquarium bed.