Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #11 
Adastra

Substrate is whatever ends up on the bottom of your tank, the category includes gravel, soil, clay, sand, etc. It doesn't necessarily refer to capping off soil or enriched substrate with yet more substrate. That gravel should work well, but keep in mind that if you get rooting plants like crypts or swords, you'll probably want to put root tabs under the plants so that they can absorb nutrients that way. Plants like anubias, java moss, java fern, hornwort, etc, feed from the water column, so root tabs aren't necessary.

The reason why I dose Excel every day is because it's not the same as the micronutrients you're dosing--those only really need to be added once a week. Excel provides the plants with carbonates in liquid form, and these are consumed much more quickly, especially under moderate-high light. In this way I use Excel in lieu of CO2.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #12 
FloridaBettas239

The sand you can buy for fresh water aquarium's is so awesome. It is the same price as gravel where i live, And they have blue, black and white. Another reason sand is so awesome it makes your fresh water tank look like a salt water or even if not it makes it look 10 times better then some of the gravel on the market once i put black sand in my 55 gallon and white in my 10... my girl said she will never own gravel again lol...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #13 
Sarada

how do you clean sand?
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #14 
FloridaBettas239

Oh and she did put all kinds of rooted plant's. In both tanks and they do great. Thats the only thing i was worrying about is the plants coming un rooted and floating all the time but we have yet to have a problem.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #15 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
how do you clean sand?

We do it the same way as gravel, With the vacume thing you just be a little more carful
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #16 
Sarada

oh ok, i thought the sand would go right up through the vac
Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #17 
FloridaBettas239

So did i, Thats why i wasnt going to get it because i thought it was going to be a pain to clean but the guy at petsmart showed me on a tank he was cleaning he moved to the salt water tanks and just kept cleaning with the same vacume and everything so he won me over i bought it for both tanks. I kind of wish i would have got black in both tanks because the white gets dirty fast.

But its so cool to watch the cory catfish cleaming the sand they suck it up threw there mouth and blow black sand out there gill's they do a great job cleaning the sand.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #18 
Adastra

Sometimes it does, I have fluorite black sand in one of my tanks which is pretty fine as far as sand goes, more fine than most--I kind of do a quick sweeping motion over the surface of the sand, enough to blow the sand around a tiny bit but not actually touch the sand with the siphon, this frees up a lot of the poop and other small bits of detritus without sucking up a lot of grains.

Keep in mind that when you use sand you should either stir the sand well regularly or use burrowing animals like malaysian trumpet snails to keep the sand from compacting. If the sand compacts, it can lead to pockets of anaerobic bacteria which can be really nasty.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #19 
Sarada

Cool, I'm tempted to buy a 3rd tank for my birthday...
Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #20 
SemioticSleep

They are having a really good sale on tanks at petco
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote