Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #11 
Mermaid Fish

Koi are pretty cool. My old school had some. I touched them. I don't own betta fish so I can't say. Betta are much prettier though.
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #12 
Alexanderismylife

It's really cruel how bettas are treated but no reason to put kois down :] My friend has Koi's and they are pretty cool and do have good personaltys IMO! I do like bettas more though :] My petstores take pretty good care of their bettas not sure how they are shipped though! My walmarts on the otherhand take horrible care of their bettas :[ Maybe some day someone will open up a petstore just for bettas and they will have a 2 gallon tank all to them selves!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #13 
fleetfish

It's sad, but how else can they get here? As long as they're secure and have some oxygen in those little bags, many make it to their destinations. Kois are awesome, BTW :D
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #14 
betta fish crazy

Yes, Koi are pretty cool, I don't have anything against them or anything, I actually like them. But I'm kind of an "all fish are equal" person...if that makes any sense...:P
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #15 
SemioticSleep

ohhhh I know the guy that runs this site was like "see they are perfectly fine living in small cups"
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Luckily bettas don't go through that with local breeders. Bettas are packed in styrofoam insulated boxes, the bags are filled with 1/3 water 2/3 air, wrapped in newspaper, placed in a brown paper lunch bag an rolled up again and placed in the box....excess space is filled with packing peanuts or crumpled newspaper....heat packs are added when needed.

*This is just how I plan on shipping/shipped when I shipped some fish to family.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #17 
Jupiter

Well, the site itself did have some pretty good info, but the thing that made me do a double take was this: Since they came in these tiny bags, you know you can keep them in bowls.

Really?

At least the person who wrote it realizes that you should do regular (I think he said daily) water changes in the smaller lodgings.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #18 
purplemuffin

I like bettas for their spunk.. I like koi when they swallow my fingers hahaha! :) plus they are elegant and nice for a pond! Each has their own thing that makes them great.

That's why I bought from a breeder privately..even though he was shipped to me he was shipped with care and in a nice packaged box! I know his trip to america was rough, but he got to rest a bit at the transhipper before going back into 'first class' traveling to my house :D
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #19 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I like bettas more for pets, but I think koi are more pretty. if I could, I would totally have a koi pond.

and just to say, koi probably have a nice airline and all that jazz since people would pay a lot of money for some koi, and with all the things koi mean to some people/cultures.

we have a japanese garden here, and it is so sad.. the koi are removed in winter from the pond, but in the summer the koi pond has guards, because the koi are so large, people steal them and sell them.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #20 
purplemuffin

It's the koi color morphs that sell for a lot..and it's not that they are expensive 'just because'...A betta takes 3-4 months before he's ready to sell and is sort of grown up, most people who buy koi don't want to spend the years it takes to get them to the size they want! We bought cheap baby koi, they are still pretty small now, but most people who spend hundreds buy adults who could already be years old, that's a lot of food, time, and effort for one sale! Same with tortoises, you want a big one you pay money haha! The long lived animals are crazy like that!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta transport koi