Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #1 
telphora

Adding betta to community tank

So I got a nice big ten gallon tank for graduation and I want to put my betta in there but to get it started I put in some 3 albino cory cats and 5 tetras to help the plants get going and get it all nice. The tank's been going now for about two weeks.

Now I want to put in my betta but I want to make sure that the other fish aren't carrying diseases that could hurt my betta. What's the best way to do make sure he won't get sick? Is there something I can buy that will make the other fish squeaky clean, hypothetically speaking? Or do I just have to hope they're not carrying anything and be prepared to treat him?

Also, once I do add him, how can I make sure he won't gobble up the tetra's food? He's a bit of a pig.

Thanks in advance!
telphora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #2 
JKfish

I'm curious, have you cycled your tank already?

Anyways, watch the fish for abnormal behaviour, look for white spots or streaks on them, watch for them rubbing against the walls or decorations frequently, see if they are off their feed, and such. If you don't see anything, chances are that they are fine. Don't treat your fish for something, unless you are pretty sure they have it.

When I feed my betta in the community tank, I always get his attention with his food, and lead him over to a corner away from the other fish, then feed him first. While he's occupied, feed your other fish. Chances are after he's done, he'll try to eat the other fishs' food, use your fingers, or a small net to keep him away. Also, fast him once a week, just incase he is over eating. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #3 
telphora

Okay. I'll keep my eye close on them.

And yes, I've cycled it a couple of times. :)

Thanks for the feeding tips! They're very useful!
telphora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #4 
BlackLabelAxe

Tetras can be a problem for bettas- what kind of tetra are you talking about?

They live longer and healthier lives in schools of 10 or more, but a lot of them display serious "punk" behavior when there's a gang of them- including fin-nipping.

Serpae tetras can be the worst at this, but Congo Tetras can take out a betta too. It's not that they are one-on-one superior, but they take turns nipping and stress the poor betta severely. Neons are probably okay, they are extremely skittish when kept in very small groups.

Bettas just aren't nearly as swift as tetras so my advice is to keep tabs on fins and watch thier interaction carefully. Cory cats are an ideal tankmate for bettas- they eat totally different food on different layers.
BlackLabelAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 AM   #5 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by telphora View Post
So I got a nice big ten gallon tank for graduation and I want to put my betta in there but to get it started I put in some 3 albino cory cats and 5 tetras to help the plants get going and get it all nice. The tank's been going now for about two weeks.

Now I want to put in my betta but I want to make sure that the other fish aren't carrying diseases that could hurt my betta. What's the best way to do make sure he won't get sick? Is there something I can buy that will make the other fish squeaky clean, hypothetically speaking? Or do I just have to hope they're not carrying anything and be prepared to treat him?

Also, once I do add him, how can I make sure he won't gobble up the tetra's food? He's a bit of a pig.

Thanks in advance!
if your fish are alive and don't appear to be diseased or unhealthy currently, what makes you think they will spread disease to your betta? bettas are really hardy fish and can survive through a lot of stuff most fish cannot, I wouldn't be so reluctant to move him into a new home =)
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote