Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #1 
creamcookie

Gah! Stupid heater!

So I go to feed my fish tonight and he's not eating. Which is strange cuz he's a huge piggy. So I try to help him see the pellets by poking my finger near it and the water is COLD. It turns out my heater is broken and has been for a while now. However, its strange that the thermometer says 78F. But now I have to get a new heater, and I'm pretty upset about the old one breaking because it was a nice one and pretty new.:(
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #2 
creamcookie

Oh and btw is it normal that he's not eating for now... will he start again once the water becomes warmer?
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #3 
Adastra

It depends--this could simply be a sign of stress that he will bounce back from rather quickly. It could also be a sign of something more insidious--have you noticed any other changes in appearance or behavior? (i.e. bloating or lethargy) It would be prudent to keep your water as clean as possible during this time.

Definitely return the heater if possible--if you don't have the receipt, simply go to the store where you bought it and buy an identical one, then put the old one in the box and take it back. The store will get a refund from their supplier for the defective equipment you purchased.

Remember to slowly increase the temperature of the water once you get another adjustable heater over the course of many hours.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote