Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #1 
El1216

New betta fish

Ok so I was at petco and saw baby betta fish (that's nothing new) but anyway I bought a baby because it was wiggling at me and I thought ok ill save it of course petco went all out and had 68 baby bettas yes I counted none were colored they were all 6-9 weeks and it didnt say what they would grow up to be so my question is how to make sure they survive I'm not sure how to take care of them petco said just throw food in and make sure it's not dead then he walked away so...... I have 5 babies I'm taking care of please help! P.s I'm calling petco to complain
El1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Well, obviously, they need more care than throwing some food and making sure it's not dead. I've never cared for a baby, but from what I've heard, you must keep their water warmer, and cleaner than an adult fish. They also do better with live foods, but a pellet that's made specifically for Betta babies will work too.
I've heard people say that in a 5 gallon tank, they have to clean those tanks 3-4 times a week with a baby instead of just once with an adult.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #3 
Asira

Ask me any question you want, I'm raising 65 babies bred by me and they are really healthy, tomorrow they are 7 weeks. Do you have any photos of your baby bettas?
Asira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #4 
mybabyjets

can we see some pics? and yes i have to agree with sainthogan..it needs to be much warmer then adults, and cleaner, because babies are weaker, if you could get a snail in there, it would help :)
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #5 
El1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyjets View Post
can we see some pics? and yes i have to agree with sainthogan..it needs to be much warmer then adults, and cleaner, because babies are weaker, if you could get a snail in there, it would help :)
unfortanatly when i took a pic i dropped the phone in and my dad wont let me touch his camera i found a pic on the web that looked just like them
Attached Images

El1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #6 
Myates

The "baby" bettas there are pretty much the runts of the spawn.. they will grow with the right environment and food, but they have been known to be weaker and pass away a lot easier than normal.

For them I would recommend keeping their tank temp at a steady 80-82F.. the warmth will help promote growth.

Food I would say start them out on New Life Spectrum Growth formula - it's much healthier than the betta formula and a good size for them.. I usually feed my juveniles NLS at least once a day (mixed in with other foods).. but feed them the NLS at least twice a day minimum.. three times a day is more ideal for them as they are stunted and young.

As for clean water.. don't go overboard, if they are kept in too clean of water they will never grow a strong enough immune system. Their water change schedule will depend on the size of their tank(s), whether they are filtered and cycled, etc. So no one can give you the right water change information without knowing their tank sizes, plants, filters, etc. They aren't fry, they don't need daily water changes at that point..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #7 
mybabyjets

[quote=El1216;2484314]unfortanatly when i took a pic i dropped the phone in and my dad wont let me touch his camera i found a pic on the web that looked just like them[/QU

that would be a cute fish :) hope he/she goes up all right, keep us posted on his/her growth
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #8 
peasome

thanks for the info. on feeding my babies.
peasome is offline   Reply With Quote