Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #11 
Betta Slave

I fed the amount specified (on the forum) and they fogged up the water anyway. Maybe it was just my flakes though.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #12 
Welsh

How many times a day were you feeding your betta with the flakes and which flakes were you using?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #13 
JKfish

With flakes, so long as you feed a few flakes at a time, and make sure your betta eats all the flakes quickly, will no cloud up the water.

I use flakes in the morning and betta bites in the evening, and my betta loves both of them. The only problem is that the betta bites are a bit too big when soaked before feeding.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #14 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh12 View Post
I was thinking of switching to Top FinŽ Color Enhancing Betta Bits anyone use these? is it good?
That's the food that I feed Finn and he loves them. :) I also found his colours are becoming more vibrant (that may be because of his new tank though) But anyways, I feed him 3 pellets in the morning when I wake up and 3 pellets before bed time. In the end it all comes down to your Betta's preferance. I've heard though that Hikari Betta Bio-Gold aren't as good as they used to be becuase they changed their formula...but, like I said, it's all in your Betta.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #15 
SemioticSleep

I usually feed mine one since the fish's stomach is the size of it's eye and you should feed every other day so he won't get bloated. Fish products tell you to put however much your fish can consume in a few minutes, but they are hoping that you don't notcie the pellets that are getting wasted and you finish your bottle of food faster.
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #16 
BlackLabelAxe

Mine get 1 or 2 frozen bloodworms a day, and snack on mosquitos and other very small insects that I kill or immobilize around the house. Nothing larger than a mosquito, since they can choke or fail to digest large food properly. Live food rules!

Bettas have excellent eyesight- after a few days of "training", mine will jump about 1/4" to 1/2" out of the water to grab a bloodworm I dangle over the water- it's really cool to see!

Agree with Hikari if you do pellets- 3-4/day is good to go as long as they have room to swim. If they act like they're hungry it means they're healthy. Eating food is half of their great lifetime goals- if they do that enthusiastically then you've got a healthy fish!
BlackLabelAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #17 
rockin3

Reviving this thread

Just got a small betta and am unsure how much of these to feed him. The bottle says as much as he can eat in two minutes. That would be a lot for this guy. I was thinking three in the am and three in the pm? I used to buy the big Hikari pellets for my large betta, and did four in the am and four in the pm with those, but they were much larger.
rockin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #18 
Camy

Hey, i've had a similar question i've had my new betta for a week now, feeding him everyday flakes n he ate them all (although some parts he just spits them n doesnt bother to eat them again) and today for the 1st time i tried the pellets(soaked in water first) n he simply ate then spit it for a couple of times then ignored them...advice?? should i continue trying with the pellets ? some say to try fasting him 1 or 2 days n then feed him again pellets any ideas?
Camy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #19 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camy View Post
Hey, i've had a similar question i've had my new betta for a week now, feeding him everyday flakes n he ate them all (although some parts he just spits them n doesnt bother to eat them again) and today for the 1st time i tried the pellets(soaked in water first) n he simply ate then spit it for a couple of times then ignored them...advice?? should i continue trying with the pellets ? some say to try fasting him 1 or 2 days n then feed him again pellets any ideas?
Camy, bettas can be notorious food critics. Is there a particular reason for switching away from the flakes? New bettas also tend to be finicky due to stress of a new atmosphere. I think maybe if your guy liked the flakes, switch back unless there's a good reason for the switch (low quality food, for example).

If you really want, just continue giving him the new food for the next couple of days. He'll eat eventually. Sounds cruel, but sometimes it's the only way to get a betta to eat the food you provide them with. He won't starve himself to death if he's healthy.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #20 
BeautifulBetta14

i have two females and one male and i feed them three in the moring and onebefore i go to bed so they don't starve through the night but lots of females are males with act like they are hungry even though they look really really hungry. They are just full and all they want to do is eat and eat and eat!
BeautifulBetta14 is offline   Reply With Quote