Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #21 
BeautifulBetta14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camy View Post
Hey, i've had a similar question i've had my new betta for a week now, feeding him everyday flakes n he ate them all (although some parts he just spits them n doesnt bother to eat them again) and today for the 1st time i tried the pellets(soaked in water first) n he simply ate then spit it for a couple of times then ignored them...advice?? should i continue trying with the pellets ? some say to try fasting him 1 or 2 days n then feed him again pellets any ideas?
My betta senshi he will spit his pellets out all the time and come back for them when he is hungry so if you feed your betta pellets one day and spits them out and the next morning you see them all gone he probaly ate them while he was hungry at night.
BeautifulBetta14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #22 
Myates

In the future please don't revive old threads- best to make a new one.

For pellets, I always recommend 2-3 pellets per meal, twice a day. If your betta has a tendency to bloat easily, then 1-2 pellets per meal twice a day.

Bettas can be very picky with food- no two bettas of mine like the same things, so I have quite a selection of food in order to give them all a variety. All of mine also eat different amounts- my old guy who is curved down quite a bit from age, which makes him have a pot belly gets only 4 pellets a day (2 each meal), while another, say my girl Aanya who is about 5 months of age eats 6-7 pellets total a day. (Only counting pellets, but they are fed other foods as well.)

Flakes may cloud up the water, but betta specific flakes are fine to feed them- make sure that fish/meat meal is the first ingredient and the crude fat % is higher then 42%.. feed only a few flakes at a time, a couple times a day. They won't cause bloating or constipation, as some people believe.

Go ahead and try the 3/3 meal plan for him and see how he does- their stomachs can and do expand after eating, so keep that in mind. By the time the next meal comes up they shouldn't have a bloated looking belly anymore.. if that is the case then I would slowly go down in the amount fed to where he can digest it easily.. each one is different, like us, with their metabolism- but unlike us, they don't get fat.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #23 
rockin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta14 View Post
i have two females and one male and i feed them three in the moring and onebefore i go to bed so they don't starve through the night but lots of females are males with act like they are hungry even though they look really really hungry. They are just full and all they want to do is eat and eat and eat!
Are you using the Aqueon ones or something bigger?
rockin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #24 
BeautifulBetta14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin3 View Post
Are you using the Aqueon ones or something bigger?
something bigger why?
BeautifulBetta14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #25 
rockin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta14 View Post
something bigger why?
I wasn't sure if I should up my amount or not since the Aqueon ones are so small.
rockin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #26 
Camy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
Camy, bettas can be notorious food critics. Is there a particular reason for switching away from the flakes? New bettas also tend to be finicky due to stress of a new atmosphere. I think maybe if your guy liked the flakes, switch back unless there's a good reason for the switch (low quality food, for example).

If you really want, just continue giving him the new food for the next couple of days. He'll eat eventually. Sounds cruel, but sometimes it's the only way to get a betta to eat the food you provide them with. He won't starve himself to death if he's healthy.
Thank you for your reply, and no i haven't removed the flakes. i just thought it better to have a variety in the diet of my betta so i thought to feed him pellets once a week or something !
but seems he rlly doesnt like them, because i made him fast 2 days then tried again, he barely ate one n ignored the other !! n when i feed flakes he eats them all :)
Camy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #27 
lovefordebbie
Banned

Wink Daily Betta Schedule

My Betta typically goes on a schedule. he wasn't eating for 2 weeks but we just starting eating, and he would eat the whole tank XD

8:00
i put a bead and he pushes it around
10-12 am
2 food pellets
5:00
traing my betta
8:30 pm
flakes

*variations of food are essentail to a healthy, long living betta..
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #28 
LittleDeer

Bettas do tend to be picky. I accidentally bought flakes the other day (and didn't realize it until I already had broken the seal, do I can't return them) but my boy will only eat pellets. He swallowed a flake and then spit it out. I haven't tried with my girls yet. But when a Betta is used to a certain food, it can be hard to get them to eat other things. Some Bettas will only eat bloodworms or will only eat live food or frozen. It depends on the Betta. But as a species, they are known to sometimes be rather picky.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #29 
LittleDeer

Also, my boy gets 3 pellets every morning and then gets bloodworms every once in a while. Though this week I'm gonna start fasting every Wednesday, since I have never skipped days and its supposed to be good for their bellies.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote