Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #1 
chelsea lights

Arrow Please help- velvet and bloat

I'm really concerned about my betta, he's been bloated for a few days and just today he has started to hang out near the surface of the water all the time. This is kind of a long explanation, so please stay with me...

I've had Gump for just over a year now and he definitely looked like a juvenile when I bought him (tiny body size with small fins). He spent about the first seven months in a 1.5 gallon tank with no heater and did fine. I had another betta in a 2 gallon tank that died a horrible dropsy related death and then I resolved to focus on making Gump live a happy, healthy long life. He now resides in a 5 gallon tank with a Whisper filter, no live plants and no other fish. The temp is usually between 79 - 82 and I use bottled water. I do a weekly 100% water change and two 30- 50% water changes during the week.

So a couple of months ago I noticed that he was rubbing his body on the rocks and after researching what he could have, I started treating him for velvet. I did the full course of treatment using Sentry AQ Mardel and did not see any results (I also used Maracyn during the treatment as was advised by the directions). I waited a week and did another full course of treatment. Gump was no longer scratching on the rocks, but his head/gill area still maintained the gold color.

So I waited a few weeks to see if there was any improvement/worsening of his condition and there didn't appear to be a change in either direction, but I got the feeling he was still ill. With the past 3 weeks of water changes I have been adding Coppersafe to the water and using Tetra Lifeguard HaloShield to treat some recent fin rot. I removed the filter (per the HaloShield directions) and have thus been doing more water changes during the week.............so he has been bloated for a few days now, starting to turn white around the gill area, no longer flares his gills, hangs out at the surface on his leaf hammock

I gave him some pea to try to help with the bloat and now I'm trying to find a vet that treats fish (seriously) but if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it and so would my fish!!!

Here are a few pics to help with diagnoses, they were taken before the bloat/whiteness around gills.
Attached Images

chelsea lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #2 
chelsea lights

Well I just set him up in a 2 gallon tank with some epsom salt...hope that will help...
chelsea lights is offline   Reply With Quote