Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #1 
SwimmyTheBetta

Female Betta Tank

Hello everyone!

I just purchased a 20 gallon tank that I am going to house some female bettas in and was just wondering if anyone that has had a female betta tank before could give me a few pointers? I want to make sure that I offer the bettas a wonderful home and don't mess anything up since I don't have any experience with female bettas.

All pointers are appreciated!!!! :)
SwimmyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #2 
Welsh

For a female betta tank you will need 4 - 7+ bettas, just like males these can be territorial, also it needs to have a few plants and hidey holes for them :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #3 
SwimmyTheBetta

Thank you so much! :)
Old 07-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #4 
Welsh

No worries :) just make sure you have a lid because they jump like you wouldnt believe. I am terrified to open my tank to clean,etc because there is this one betta who jumps out EVERY time, its actually a wonder how she is still alive because the floor from the tank is actually a fair distance.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

I have a 20 gal. tank with 9 females in it & I LOVE my "Princess" tank. So far, so good - except that I used to have 10 & one jumped!!! :( I now keep the water a tad lower.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #6 
SwimmyTheBetta

Thanks for the pointers! I have a lid that comes with my tank but I'll be sure to keep the water level a little lower too. I don't want to risk any fish jumping out because my tank will be a pretty long way from the ground as well.

I was also wondering if I should add a few other types of fish or have female bettas only?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

I notice that my girls use all areas & levels of the tank so I didn't add anything else.

When I first started researching an all female tank, I ran across a site (can't remember where - grrrrrr......) that advised 2 gals. per girl. I actually intended to understock at 7 females, but the seller sent extras "just in case" & they all made it till the one jumper.

Thankfully, my tank was good & cycled so I was able to add them all at the same time. Have yet to see a nipped fin, but I DO watch that tank like a hawk!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #8 
SwimmyTheBetta

Thank you so much :)
Old 07-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #9 
SwimmyTheBetta

Hi fellow betta fish lovers! :)

Just wanted to let you guys know I added my first 4 females and everything is going great so far. They haven't picked on each other at all so far, not even when I feed them. I think they are in too much shock going from tiny cup to 20 gallon to care about each other lol. I don't see why so many people hate the females and prefer the males. Don't get me wrong, I have two males and I love them, but the females have much more spunk to them. I was surprised how much faster they can swim than the males too, I'm guessing its where their fins are shorter. Anyways if you are thinking of starting up a freshwater tank, I would definitely consider putting female bettas in it. They are very entertaining to watch and even though the males are a little more attractive, the females are not ugly like some people think.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Did you quarantine the females prior to putting them together so you were sure that no one had any infectious diseases? Entire sororities have been lost because of failure to quarantine. If you didn't there's not much you can do now but either take them out or keep a really good eye on them.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 07-16-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: needed to finish my thought.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote