Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Marble Halfmoons

I'm spawning Rio again. This time to Angel, she's an HM with excellent fins and I think will produce some quality fish.

I'm going to try things a little differently this time. Instead of using a 10 gallon I'm just going to use a storage bin with a heater. I'm going to use java moss and pond snails. I'm going to use the bubble wrap for a nest site again because I had such success with that but I'm also going to be adding IAL (Thanks Vaygirl!!). There will be no faulty heaters this time. I'm going to suck it up and shell out the dough for a Visitherm or a Stealth instead of the Topfin heater.

I'm going to condition the breeders solely on frozen foods. No pellets at all. I think part of the reason that my last marble spawn didn't do as well as I'd hoped is that my breeders weren't as well conditioned as I would have liked.

I'm also going to be leaving the father with the fry longer. I believe I removed him too quickly last time. I'm going to leave him in until at least 4 days after the fry are free swimming (unless he tries to eat them). I may even leave him in longer than that, we'll just see how it goes.

First foods will be VE, after that I'm moving straight to BBS. The microworms don't seem to be giving the results that I want. Hopefully they'll do well on the BBS.

Here are my breeders:

Rio.. Marble HM. Proven spawner. Unknown age.

Angel... Marble (platinum?) HM. Never spawned. 5 months old.

I'm going to start conditioning them today. Hopefully I will put them in the spawning tank in 10-14 days. Normally I would try to condition them longer but I'm running out of time this summer so its basically now or never.

Keep fingers and fins crossed that this spawn goes well. I only have about 7 marble babies left from the Rio x Ada tryst. I hope to spawn them again but not until later this year or next year.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

The top fish looks like a solid blue! Is he a geno marble? And i dont see any marble in the female either. Great looking fish thou... should make for some awesome babies.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

Check out my line of marble's, I just spawn them the fry are one week I will post some picture's soon when my girl charge's the camera.

There registered in the IBC BETTA CONGRESS so you can show them without having to be in the beginner class. You registered under co breeder.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

The male is definitely a marble LOL He is also from an IBC breeder and was 1st place in his class at the GA show this past May. I can't remember who bred him though, I wish I'd written down their name to get more stock from them.

This is him when I got him this past May..

And around June..

According to the members of my betta group the female is at least part marble. She was a fish not claimed (I got her from the transhipper in our group) and originally she had a streak of red in her anal fin. So either she's a marble or has red loss.. no way to really tell. But for a totally free fish I think she's a steal.

If I get any good fry I may consider entering them in a few shows in the spring. I'm not sure if I want to start showing yet or wait until I have some lines going.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #5 
xswornxoffxjello

Dang, they're gorgeous! Good luck with them.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #6 
Alexanderismylife

Ditto :]
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #7 
MangoTart

I'm excited to see how it goes! ^^ Goodluck~! I'm sure the results will be amazing :P
MangoTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #8 
camsgirl95

they are beautiful! wihsing you the best of luck!
camsgirl95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're beautiful!! Good luck with the spawn.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Thanks :) Angel is already flirting. Just for the night I kept her in a half gallon "Lees Betta Keeper" and she was flirting with Freddie Mercury. The old man even had a bubblenest this morning. I covered her up last night and I'm moving her to where she can't see any other fish today.