betta fish

Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #31 
frogipoi

I commented. Good luck!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #32 
1fish2fish

Last update for the night:

We have a small bubblenest. Just like last time, Rio is taking his sweet time making it. I think the next time I spawn him its going to be in a much smaller tank (like a 3 or 5 gallon). He seems to have fish ADD.. he blows some bubbles, then goes to Ada and flares for her, then he swims around like "oh.. heater!.. look.. java moss!.. is that food? nope.. oh heater!" then he goes back to blow a few bubbles.

Ada is a little more responsive but is not flaring or dancing. I doubt I'll release them tomorrow but maybe the day after.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #33 
frogipoi

He he. I hope things go well.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #34 
vaygirl

Fish ADD. Who knew? Try putting a picture of Austin Powers near the tank for added mojo! :D

In all seriousness, good luck! Maybe he's just a slow starter.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #35 
1fish2fish

Well I left the light on all night and was pleasantly surprised to see a decent bubblenest. Just like before the males seem to prefer the bubble wrap to the IAL or any of the other nesting sites I provided.

Since Ada still doesn't seem too eager to leave her trap I'm going to leave her in. I may release her late tonight if things seem to be going well. I'd like to see the bubble nest be a little larger before I release her anyways.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #36 
1fish2fish

I released Ada.. so far its exactly like last time. She's very submissive and goes head down tail up as soon as Rio approaches. Rio is being a butt head and chasing her all over kingdom come. Occasionally he displays for her and moves away without chasing. No nips so far.

Right now Rio is taking a break from chasing to work on the nest some more. Its much better than last time.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #37 
frogipoi

Yay!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #38 
1fish2fish

So far no love. Rios dorsal fin has be seriously munched on and Ada has a bite out of her caudal fin. I'm about to go out for a little while and if I don't see any eggs or embracing by this evening I'm pulling the plug.

I know, I know, you need to give them time, however I'm on a really strict schedule since the summer is so close to an end. I gave up an extra week to make sure the fish got to be conditioned for 2 weeks even though they probably only needed one.

Rio is an extremely aggressive fish, he's not a good bubblenester, and he wasn't that good of a father. He's got some excellent genes but I need a good breeder and he's not a good breeder. If I don't get a spawn out of him this time I'm retiring him from my breeding program. It's a real shame because he is a prize winning fish.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #39 
1fish2fish

Well it looks like my threat worked LOL. I came home to find Rio and Ada under the nest. I think they've just started spawning because the first embrace yielded no eggs and they've been releasing more eggs with each spawn. This last one I counted 13 eggs in one embrace.

Both of them are a little tattered by Rio is by far worse. I guess Ada finally got fed up with him being a butt head and gave him "what for" LOL

I think I saw Ada eat an egg but its possible she put it up in the nest and I just didn't see it.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #40 
frogipoi

Yay! (lol I keep saying this!?) So happy! Your link isn't working for me...