Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #1 
sharon

anyone know about a biorb?

I have a 4 gall bi-orb(space limited)with filter etc awaiting my betta which Im getting in Oct, the makers instructions(after cycling,routine maintenance) say to do a 30% water change every 2 weeks and a 50% every six weeks, Im not new to fish keeping and have a 60gall cichlid and a 30 gallon community tank which I do 50% water changes every week, my water and fish are spot on, now, can I carry on like that with a Betta, also do you need to remove him from the tank when cleaning,is it kinder?
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #2 
Kim

Weekly water changes are best in my opinion. I would treat it like any other tank because a betta tank really is no different except for the lower bioload. Just like any other fish, clean water will prevent many health problems in bettas. I do 25% weekly changes on my betta tanks (which are cycled and no smaller than 5 gal) and this keeps the bettas happy and the water spot on. There is no reason to remove the fish for partial water changes and it is a lot less stressful to just leave them in ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #3 
sharon

thank you so much,another question, I usually use tap water for partical changes to which I add dechlorinator and stress coat, but I see a lot of members use bottled water,In the UK, the water is pretty good,do I have to use bottled water?
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #4 
dr2b

No. As long as you condition the tap water before putting it in the tank you are fine.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

You can use Stress Coat as the conditioner if you want ;) Weekly water changes for tanks under 10 gallons are best.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #6 
lyra

Whoops, wrong thread! Moved to http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=46939
lyra is offline   Reply With Quote