Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #1 
JamieTron

question about jarring fry

Okay so my little guy is around 5 weeks old (only survivor) when do I remove him to his new home though? At what age should jarring be done? I would like to try a new spawn again after he is all settled. I bought him a small tank to house him in rather then a jar.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

If you only have one fry you can jar him at any time. There is no right or wrong time to jar most of the time you wait until the fry start fighting but you don't have that problem LOL
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #3 
JamieTron

Ahaha oh okay thankies!! I am just concerned about water changes I know that fry are a bit more sensitive I am thinking at 8 weeks I might give him his own little tank :) I am so excited he is finally getting some color...he looks like he could have a greenish or bluish tinge to him like his mom.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

Fry are stronger than we give them credit for. At 8 weeks old he should be plenty old enough to be jarred. :)
Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 
JamieTron

okay thanks! I bought him one of those small betta tanks instead of a jar for now so it'll have a top and everything (until I can add he or she to a good tank). I am wondering should I do complete water changes? or partial?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

What size is the tank? Unless you have a sponge filter I would go ahead and do full water chages. Most breeders keep their fry in small(ish) jars and do daily water changes.

If its a 1 gallon or larger you could get away with doing water changes every other day. Just remember the cleaner the water, the nicer his fins will be.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #7 
JamieTron

oh okay this would be the size of a 1/2 gallon jar but I like having a top on it to prevent my cats from going near the water. So I will do daily water changes then thanks a bunch!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #8 
FloridaBettas239

Each spawn is different, As soon as i start seeing aggressive behavior i jar them. Which is male's the females live together in a 29 gallon untill they sell. every now and then theres a aggressive female you have to jar but most of the time they live together for ever. untill they sell and all the male's slowly get taken out as they show that aggressive betta behavior. But each spawn is different.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote