Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #1 
Jwoz

Sand?

Well, I'm planning on redoing my 20 gal long when I get my stand built. I've got everything sorted out, but I want to use sand. I was just wondering what sand was recommended by other Betta owners. Thanks :)
Jwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #2 
windfire

try pool filter silica sand. we use it here as you can get large quantities for relatively cheap and its inert. its usually white though which makes your tank look like a giant beach i didnt like the effect it had with the light so i went to the extra expense to get the fine black sand
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

There is a difference in salt and fresh water sand i found that out lol... I will find out the name for you i was able to do my 20 gallon for 18 dollars and my 55 for 30 dollars i will find out the brand on monday. i will call my friend i get it from. It comes in black, blue, white its the best price i found petsmart and petco wanted 2 times what i bought it for... I will post it tomorrow for you...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I use the play sand from wal mart for $3.00-4.00 for 50 pounds to cap my soil based aquariums with and have never had any problems with it.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #5 
kuhtams

Can you use the play sand all by itself? I am a betta newbie, just setting up my first tank. We just did a project using it and have bags left over so it would be nice to use it up if I can. Anything special I need to know?
kuhtams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I have never used just play sand alone, but I have read about several people that have and it seem to be about the same.

One problem a lot of people seem to have with sand is the cleaning, it can be tricky to clean, but not impossible, and the look, it will be bright and soon it will not, I like the change personally, but many do not.

Sand can cause some problems if it get in the impeller of the filter, ans turning off the filter when cleaning or stirring up the sand is all you need to do.
You can get anaerobic spot (rotten egg smell) if the sand bed is too deep or if it is smothered by too large of decoration, poor aeration in general, you can either use a stick and poke the sand bed weekly or trumpet snails and stem plants will help keep that problem in check by pulling oxygenated water into the sand bed.
Large decoration should be put in first and then the sand to help avoid dead spot under them.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #7 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I have never used just play sand alone, but I have read about several people that have and it seem to be about the same.

One problem a lot of people seem to have with sand is the cleaning, it can be tricky to clean, but not impossible, and the look, it will be bright and soon it will not, I like the change personally, but many do not.

Sand can cause some problems if it get in the impeller of the filter, ans turning off the filter when cleaning or stirring up the sand is all you need to do.
You can get anaerobic spot (rotten egg smell) if the sand bed is too deep or if it is smothered by too large of decoration, poor aeration in general, you can either use a stick and poke the sand bed weekly or trumpet snails and stem plants will help keep that problem in check by pulling oxygenated water into the sand bed.
Large decoration should be put in first and then the sand to help avoid dead spot under them.

Your freaking me out i have had my 55 and 20 with black moon sand and its about a good 2 inches of sand. And i have never moved the sand aroud or pushed it with a stick. And i havent had any pockets or that i can see and i dont have any smell from the tank. I did get black sand so it wouldnt look dirty like white sand end's up looking so that help's but as far as the other problem's i have never had none of that and my one tank is a year old and the other is 3 years. Mabet ive been lucky or something or mabey my fish stir it up for m i dont no im not saying your lying. It's starting to make me worry and freak me out..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
Your freaking me out i have had my 55 and 20 with black moon sand and its about a good 2 inches of sand. And i have never moved the sand aroud or pushed it with a stick. And i havent had any pockets or that i can see and i dont have any smell from the tank. I did get black sand so it wouldnt look dirty like white sand end's up looking so that help's but as far as the other problem's i have never had none of that and my one tank is a year old and the other is 3 years. Mabet ive been lucky or something or mabey my fish stir it up for m i dont no im not saying your lying. It's starting to make me worry and freak me out..
Sorry..didn't mean to freak you out......
Is your tank planted?
Also, these are things that can happen, not things that will happen

Good idea with the black sand too, I have two tanks that I used black sand to cap with and I really like the look of it and really makes my white Bettas stand out nicely.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #9 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhtams View Post
Can you use the play sand all by itself? I am a betta newbie, just setting up my first tank. We just did a project using it and have bags left over so it would be nice to use it up if I can. Anything special I need to know?
I use to bake play sand and use it in my hermit crab tanks. It just gave me peace of mind. Just an idea if other members say its safe...
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #10 
Welsh

My 12 gallon has play sand and nothing else, I find it easy to clean and I don't moan so much about it getting dirty because the mulch just finds it's way around the plants which I'm happy with =)

I have a question though about Exo Terra sand, ATM I have black gravel in my bettas tank which I have noticed is rough and could be another problem that is affecting my bettas tail, I'm trying to find black sand and came across exo terra, it's for reptiles/amphibians and I was just curious why this wouldn't work for a betta, has anyone used something lie this before? The only thing I can think of is that it may have calcium in it but the site didn't say anything about it. Sorry to hi jack the post I just found it pointless to start another about sand lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote