Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #11 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry..didn't mean to freak you out......
Is your tank planted?
Also, these are things that can happen, not things that will happen

Good idea with the black sand too, I have two tanks that I used black sand to cap with and I really like the look of it and really makes my white Bettas stand out nicely.

I do have a planted tank with java fern and anubias plus i dont have any big thing's covering the bottom of my tank sitting on the sand so mabey between the both of them. Thats why nothing has happen and i have upside down catfish. clown loaches and a blue cray fish so they keep the bottom mixed up in my 55
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #12 
Stormfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
I do have a planted tank with java fern and anubias plus i dont have any big thing's covering the bottom of my tank sitting on the sand so mabey between the both of them. Thats why nothing has happen and i have upside down catfish. clown loaches and a blue cray fish so they keep the bottom mixed up in my 55

have you had any problems with your crayfish eating your fish? when i had mine he ate a cory, a minnow, and constantly nipped at my kuhlii loach.
Stormfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #13 
FloridaBettas239

I havent had a problem with my cray fish yet, I do buy small feeder fish once a week and give them to him so that his craving for meat is not so bad where he eat's my loaches and stuff. But other than that he is fine i have a lot of drift wood that he hide's in and i have the sand so he make's a little hole that he back's up into. And when fish swim by or to close he will charge out at them waving his claw's. Like get back or i will eat you lol.... Also i have upside down catfish and they sleep all day so if he wanted to he could walk up and snatch one up. But i did a lot of reading on cray fish and they are mostly scavengers. As long as theris stuff on the bottom for him to pick at he is good..
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #14 
Jwoz

With the play sand is there anything I need to do to clean it? Just wondering because I think I've read it came cleaned.
Jwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

It is better is you do give it a rinse until clear, if you rinse a small amount at a time it is easier.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #16 
Jwoz

And how exactly would you recommend rinsing sand?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Outside with a bucket and water hose or in the bathtub with a bucket, careful not to get too much sand down the drain or if the tank is still empty you can dump the sand in and fill and drain the tank until clear.
Sometimes it will still be cloudy in the tank but give it a day or two and the sand should settle and if really bad...make water changes until clear.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #18 
Jwoz

So I got sand at walmart, and just noticed it says not for use in aquariums. Its called cleaned cleaned play sand so I figured it was the stuff
Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #19 
Adastra

I have heard of people using silica play sand also, but the main complaint about it is that white sand tends to get pretty unattractive pretty quickly, lol. Every bit of fish poop, uneaten food, plant matter, diatoms are going to stick out like a sore thumb, so that's why I prefer black substrate or one with natural browns in it.

If it were me I would probably end up with black flourite sand or tahitian moon sand. These are both naturally black, and the flourite is enriched with iron and other nutrients, making it optimal for planting in if you don't want to start with a clay/soil plant base.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #20 
FloridaBettas239

Yeah i got black sand in my tank, Because of that problem. The white sand in my 10 gallon got dirty so i knew never use that. Plus my black moon sand look's awesome. And i got bubble bar's under the sand so it looks like quick sand. lol.. here is some pic's

IMG]http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/gator_nation239/JoshuaBETTAANDFISHTANK029.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/gator_nation239/JoshuaBETTAANDFISHTANK026.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/gator_nation239/JoshuaBETTAANDFISHTANK022-1.jpg[/IMG