Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #1 
CaptainBubbles

Question about Courting/Introducing

I have conditioned by betta's for a week or so and put them into a 10 gallon breeding tank. I put my male betta in, then my female in within a cup. The male often flares at her scaring her, and she swims wildly and backs away in the cup. The male keeps going, then wonders off for a while. I also placed a styrofoam cup, but the male hasn't made a bubble nest yet.

IM SCARED FOR MY FEMALE BETTA, IS SHE GOING TO BE OKAY IF I FREE HER? SHE SWIMS REALLY FAST INSIDE THE CUP WHEN HE FLARES! PLEASE HELP! THANKS!
CaptainBubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Remove the female, she isn't ready to spawn. Keep her in solitary for a few days and try again. She should be flaring back and both should be swimming as if they're dancing.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I would get a larger container like a jar or a small tank to put in the spawning tank. That way the female has a little more room to feel comfortable. If the male doesn't begin building the nest quickly after putting the female in then you probably need to re-condition both of them.

Normally you would condition the breeders for 2+ weeks
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #4 
CaptainBubbles

great thanks! i took my female out and im going to condition her for another 3-5 days. she has vertical stripes and a visible ovapistor(?) right now.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Make sure there are plenty of hiding spots for her in the breeding tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #6 
CaptainBubbles

i have 2 fake plants so far.. i think im going to add one of those rock "caves".

My male betta made bubble nests in the small bowl i had him in the beginning, but after i transferred him to the 10 gallon he doesn't make them anymore. Is there a certain reason?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

How long did you condition the male? What's the temp? What are you using for a nest site?

I used a piece of bubble wrap (bubble side down) for my nest site and it only took my males 2 minutes to realized that's where their nest should go. The bubble wrap makes it look like there is already a nest there so he just adds on to it.

I also packed my tank full of java moss, except for the part where the nest was. This gives the female a lot of cover and most males can chase a female through java moss (unless he's short finned).
Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #8 
CaptainBubbles

My male was conditioned for a while, he was blowing bubble nests when he was in his smaller bowl, but when i trasnferred him to the new breeding tank he doesn't seem to show interest in making a bubble nest. I used a styrofoam cup. I'll look for some bubble wrap and see what happens. thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #9 
CaptainBubbles

update: my male has begun attempting to make a bubblenest under the styrofoam cup, but it seems that the bubbles keep popping before he can get multiple bubbles. My filter isn't on anymore, and it's very still. Is there a certain reason? He has built bubble nests in his small bowl before.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Try covering the tank with plastic wrap over the top, it will keep the air above the tank humid and will probably help the bubbles stay together better.

Tags
betta, breeding, courting, female, introducing