Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #1061 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
How many water changes would I have to do for a 5 gallon with no filter?
I believe a 5 gallon uncycled/unfiltered has to be changed twice a week - one 50% change and one 100% change with substrate vacuuming.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #1062 
Canuck Fins

Sometimes when I check my fish during the day, he looks pale (no stress bars) but is still very active. An hour later, he'll be back to his regular colour. Any idea what that's about?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #1063 
Neil D

I still have a film on my tank, and I can't make it go away! How do inmate it go away? And there are bubbles on my tank, and it's not from my betta. Why?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #1064 
Canuck Fins

My tank gets bubbles on the surface of the water. Some of them are from my fish; they can blow single bubbles and not build nests. I expect some of them are from there being some movement from the filter.

What colour film is it? My tank gets diatoms on the side sometimes which are brown and wipe off easily with a sponge. They aren't harmful. Just part of the life in the tank.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #1065 
Neil D

Um, purplish, but it could be the tank lights. It also looks a bit like oil. If I touch it, it makes a hole in the film.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #1066 
Twilight Storm

http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=13795

Can someone please tell me what color my fish is so I can stop feeling like an idiot? I looked at every betta on aquabid, in the color post here in the forum, and on google images, but he doesn't match to any that come up.

(I can't make the picture visable to me on a forum, and I don't know if anyone can look at that album link either. A member made me very worried that he might be sick but if anyone can ID the color I can look it up)

Thank you to whoever can possably answer my question!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #1067 
Neil D

@ twilightstorm Srry, that was me... Just wanted to make sure he was okay though. I'm not sure, try to get a side pic of him.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #1068 
JKfish

Neil, I told you what it was :) It's microorganisms that grow. Think of it as a protein film. Having water movement will help decrease it, as will keeping a top on the tank. Apart from that, you just have to scoop it out. Maybe try making your water changes 3-4 small water changes a week rather than just 1 larger one a week (if your tank is cycled). The film catches bubbles. When bettas breath from the surface, it's not uncommon for them to let a little bubble out of their mouths. I am yet to keep a tank that doesn't develop that. You just have to deal with it as best you can. Unless it becomes incredibly thick, having a thin layer on top of your water isn't harmful in the least. It is just annoying to the fish keeper.

Twilight Storm: He is a copper :) To post a picture, go to advanced posting by clicking the "go advanced" button. Click the Paper Clip "Attachment" button next that is two to the right of the button that lets you change the color of the font. After you click it, press the "browse" button and select your photo (make sure it is down sized so it fits on here :D ), then upload it before exiting. Click your Paper Clip "Attachment" button again. This time it'll drop down, and under "Manage Attachments" will be your picture. Click it, and it'll be inserted into your post. Even if you don't click it, it'll be added at the bottom of your post. I hope that helped!

Canuck, I think it just may be the lighting. :)

Last edited by JKfish; 04-19-2011 at 08:24 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #1069 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Neil, I told you what it was :) It's microorganisms that grow. Think of it as a protein film. Having water movement will help decrease it, as will keeping a top on the tank. Apart from that, you just have to scoop it out. Maybe try making your water changes 3-4 small water changes a week rather than just 1 larger one a week (if your tank is cycled). The film catches bubbles. When bettas breath from the surface, it's not uncommon for them to let a little bubble out of their mouths. I am yet to keep a tank that doesn't develop that. You just have to deal with it as best you can. Unless it becomes incredibly thick, having a thin layer on top of your water isn't harmful in the least. It is just annoying to the fish keeper.

Twilight Storm: He is a copper :) To post a picture, go to advanced posting by clicking the "go advanced" button. Click the Paper Clip "Attachment" button next that is two to the right of the button that lets you change the color of the font. After you click it, press the "browse" button and select your photo (make sure it is down sized so it fits on here :D ), then upload it before exiting. Click your Paper Clip "Attachment" button again. This time it'll drop down, and under "Manage Attachments" will be your picture. Click it, and it'll be inserted into your post. Even if you don't click it, it'll be added at the bottom of your post. I hope that helped!

Canuck, I think it just may be the lighting. :)

Oh yeah. Oops. Anyway about the water changes; should I just change a gallon a day for a bit just from the surface with no gravel vacuuming? This film is irksome
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #1070 
Twilight Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
I still have a film on my tank, and I can't make it go away! How do inmate it go away? And there are bubbles on my tank, and it's not from my betta. Why?
http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-...ank-95660.html

found that in a different forum, and what jkfish said

and yes neil, ty :D

still no answers to any of my questions in the disease forum and im getting worried, especially since it appears my tank is done cycling and he is going to be stuck in his quarn. bowl until I know he isnt sick. I have spent days searching the internet and here and I can't answer my questions
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote