Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #1101 
NikiandBeyond

It's been established for 5 months. I haven't changed anything with the filter. Could that be a culprit? Is it due? This is my first time having to care for a filtered tank. Could the algae also be from an airstone. I put one in the same day as the driftwood and kept it in for a week. The current seemed to tire Casper, so we removed the system yesterday. Added oxygen could've done something?

(It's a 4.6 gal and Casper shares it with an olive nerite snail.)

Last edited by NikiandBeyond; 04-25-2011 at 12:41 PM.
NikiandBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1102 
JKfish

Nitrates should be kept down below 10 ppm. In an almost five gallon tank with a betta and a snail, you'd want to be doing 50% a week. Also, in a cycled tank, you swish the filter media through old tank water to clean it about once a month.

If the current from the filter tired him out, you could have baffled the filter. If you remove it, there will be no bacteria to keep the tank cycled.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #1103 
NikiandBeyond

Thanks for the advice! I'll start cleaning out the filter cartridges. I'll talk with my bf and see if he skipped a water change. He does one weekly, and when I visit, it's sometimes twice a week. Sorry if it was confusing, but the filter current isn't too strong. I've had that baffled for months and that's all taken care of. It was the current from the airstone (independent from my filter system) that seemed to tire Casper out. I'd put it in the tank because I read somewhere on this forum the bubbles reduce boredom. Casper isn't bored in the least, but I thought it could only do more good, not hurt. Oh well.

Could the sudden aeration have contributed to the algae? If it is algae tinting the water, and not something from the driftwood?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #1104 
JKfish

hmm, okay. Well, I'm not really sure. The algae bloom could be caused by a number of things, though the driftwood may be a reason. What type of wood is it, did you boil it, and scrape off the mushy parts before putting it in?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #1105 
NikiandBeyond

I didn't know it should be scraped. What's that do? Does it matter now?

I sure like the poem in your sig!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #1106 
JKfish

Well, boiling it and scraping it gets out the tannins and gunk. I also asked to know what type it is, because soft woods, grape vines, etc have sap in them that can ruin a tank.

And thanks~ :D
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #1107 
Neil D

For the algea bloom, it can occur if the tank is in direct sunlight.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #1108 
NikiandBeyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Well, boiling it and scraping it gets out the tannins and gunk. I also asked to know what type it is, because soft woods, grape vines, etc have sap in them that can ruin a tank.

And thanks~ :D
I'm not sure what it is. Could someone tell me? After googling tannins, I'm sure that's what it's from. Instead of boiling the driftwood, I soaked it in scalding water from the tap without understanding... My tank light has a blue tint, so the water must be yellow but looks green under the light. While reading, someone suggested that the tannins aren't harmful (though I should keep an eye on not having drastic pH swings) and that in fact fish may find the color comforting?

(the pic is from the day I put the driftwood in, before it was really "leaking")
Attached Images

Last edited by NikiandBeyond; 04-25-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #1109 
JKfish

tannins are good for fish, and eventually water changes will get it back to normal.

My quick question:

I returned my heaters to petsmart, but they only had bad quality topfin heaters available, so they gave me store credit, and said they'd have the new shipment in on thursday. I've got the room temp at 76 degrees, though sometimes it is cooler. Do you think my bettas will be alright until then, or should I just go back and get what those heaters for now?

Last edited by JKfish; 04-25-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #1110 
Neil D

Yeah. I'm sure they won't be cozy, but people have bettas for 2+ years without heaters, but I would recommend aqueon heaters. I have a 50 W for my ten gallon.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote