Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #1201 
Neil D

About the 50 w in a 5 gallon, it's adjustable with a thermostat, so how would it over heat? This is just hypothetical, btw. I have a ten gallon with heater.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #1202 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
About the 50 w in a 5 gallon, it's adjustable with a thermostat, so how would it over heat? This is just hypothetical, btw. I have a ten gallon with heater.
When it gets old the thermostat can go wonky or break altogether :D

**EDIT: Actually it doesn't even need to be old, but it is because just in case the thermostat fails, XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #1203 
Neil D

Okay. Thx. One more heater related thing; wouldn't/couldn't that happen in a ten gallon too?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #1204 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Okay. Thx. One more heater related thing; wouldn't/couldn't that happen in a ten gallon too?
In theory, yes, considering (according to my box) 50watts is for 15 Gallons, but it won't be as a severe overheating compared to that of 5 gal.

This appears to be a reasonable guide for heater wattages, other than reading the back of the boxes that the heater comes in: http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/he...rsizeguide.htm

**EDIT: I prefer reading the box :P

Last edited by bahamut285; 05-07-2011 at 11:36 PM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #1205 
Neil D

Haha thx.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #1206 
Neil D

Another question.

I plan on moving my cycled ten gallon tank from the living room to my room upstairs. How would I do that? I'd have my mom's/dad's help of course. I don't want to re-cycle my tank, and it is heated and filtered. Has only one betta. Thx! (and sorry for the double post)
Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #1207 
JKfish

Drain all the water ( save for maybe an inch above the gravel, and carry the tank up. It won't take more than maybe 4 minutes (unless you have killer stairs), and during that time, your cycle will be fine. Just plug in your filter ASAP once you have the tank in your room and filled. carry your betta up in a cup or something.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #1208 
laughing

I have a skull in my new boy's tank. I want some kind of plant growing out of the mouth. Not like a tall growing plant, but more on that spreads *outward*? I hope you get what I'm saying, LOL! So I'm wondering is there some kind of moss or something that I could purchase for it to "leak" from his mouth that stays on the substrate?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #1209 
gmd1800

Could the place you get fresh tank water from determine the acidity of the water?

A friend of mine has a small community tank, and I went in to test her water once when all of her fish kept getting sick and dying. She had a slight problem with the ammonia, but when I tested, the ammonia was at 0 ppm, and everything was perfect, except for the pH which was at around 5.8! In the last few weeks, she started taking water from the lounge instead of the bathroom, and the pH is now around 7.2.

She thinks that when people throw up (she's an RA for the second floor - HUGE partiers on that floor) the acid from the vomit mixes with the water supply. I find it dubious, but whatever. Would that be possible?
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #1210 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post
Could the place you get fresh tank water from determine the acidity of the water?

A friend of mine has a small community tank, and I went in to test her water once when all of her fish kept getting sick and dying. She had a slight problem with the ammonia, but when I tested, the ammonia was at 0 ppm, and everything was perfect, except for the pH which was at around 5.8! In the last few weeks, she started taking water from the lounge instead of the bathroom, and the pH is now around 7.2.

She thinks that when people throw up (she's an RA for the second floor - HUGE partiers on that floor) the acid from the vomit mixes with the water supply. I find it dubious, but whatever. Would that be possible?
Yes, it definitely can. I know in different areas of my apartment I can get different pH levels and even chlorine levels. Just because water is going to the same building doesn't mean all the water is the same. I would just keep getting it from the lounge or if that's too far just use some pH stablizers!

I'm not sure about her theory, though.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote