Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #1211 
kmontijo

Friends for fluffy?

I have a male betta fish named fluffy. One of my friends has one, and she said she has one of those small underwater frogs in the tank with it. I went to a pet store and asked if they would get along- and the guy said that fluffy shouldnt attack it. I went back later to actually buy the frog, and the guy who was there told me that fluffy would kill it.
So: Can you keep a small underwater frog with a male betta, or will they fight?

When I first got Fluffy, the guy at that pet store told me I could get a freshwater snail, but I asked at a different pet store and the same guy that told me you couldnt have a frog told me that a betta would kill a snail as well. Is this true?
kmontijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #1212 
laughing

It depends on the fish itself.

Bettas won't kill snails, but can pick on them a LOT.

Some bettas will kill frogs, but not all. Most get along peacefully.

But I think it depends on how big your tank is, too. If you have your betta in a 2 gallon I wouldn't get any "friends". It'd be too crowded! But if your betta is in a 5 gallon I would go for a snail (certain varities, some get up to 2 inches around!) If your betta is in 6 gallons+ you could get a frog. There's a lot of danger though because certain species will get mixed in and they grow to large size and will kill your betta.

Therefore do lots of research before buying! Also, the frogs at the store croak, sing, and generally make lots of noise. So if you want a *quiet* companion, stick to a snail.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #1213 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
It depends on the fish itself.

Bettas won't kill snails, but can pick on them a LOT.

Some bettas will kill frogs, but not all. Most get along peacefully.

But I think it depends on how big your tank is, too. If you have your betta in a 2 gallon I wouldn't get any "friends". It'd be too crowded! But if your betta is in a 5 gallon I would go for a snail (certain varities, some get up to 2 inches around!) If your betta is in 6 gallons+ you could get a frog. There's a lot of danger though because certain species will get mixed in and they grow to large size and will kill your betta.

Therefore do lots of research before buying! Also, the frogs at the store croak, sing, and generally make lots of noise. So if you want a *quiet* companion, stick to a snail.

Good luck!
+1

You type faster than me *sobs* XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #1214 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
+1

You type faster than me *sobs* XD
I do type fast. I've never tested myself but everyone always makes me type their papers LOL. And I can type without looking. I can watch TV and type...
Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #1215 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I do type fast. I've never tested myself but everyone always makes me type their papers LOL. And I can type without looking. I can watch TV and type...
XD! I type fairly fast as well, but yeah I never tested it or something, the last time I got it tested was in grade...8? That was 10 years ago XD. I never look down when I type unless it's a new keyboard, so pranks where people rearrange the letters on the keyboard are not effective! WAHAHAHA.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #1216 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post

She thinks that when people throw up (she's an RA for the second floor - HUGE partiers on that floor) the acid from the vomit mixes with the water supply. I find it dubious, but whatever. Would that be possible?

That is both disgusting and implausable.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #1217 
laughing

How do I get my male to not be fearful of the fruit flies? LOL. He thinks they're going to kill him. My female took right to them (well not right away but wasn't scared of them) and she loves them. I know he'll have to settle in for a bit but I don't know what to do about him being deathly afraid! D:
Old 05-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #1218 
Neil D

SOSOSOSOS!!! Help please:

I recently moved my ten gallon tank to my room frm the living rm. I removed about 70% of the water, but DID NOT throw it out. So after I got all the equipment to my room, I poured the same water back in. The filter and heater were restarted and I tested the water. (I have strips, API too much) anyways, after testing the color was in the 7.8-8.4 alkalinity. Can I put Mr betta back in? (acclimatized of course) he is the only one in the heated, filtered ten gallon.

Recap:
Moved tank.
No new water.
Bacteria still alive.
High alkalinity.
Betta in separate container.
Thx in advance!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #1219 
squal90

should i keep my tank light on or off??
squal90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #1220 
Neil D

Depends....I keep mine on for 7-8 hrs a day...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote