Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #1361 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Id say over 85'F you might see some die-off but not too bad, and over that and at or above 90'F, itll really start to hurt it.

If the tank is at 90, there's a problem! D:
Okay, so i can safely assume all of my bacteria died. :( I don't know what happened, it wasn't even that hot here yesterday plus the tank is in a shaded corner and i've been keeping the curtains shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrealm View Post
I'm pretty sure 90 is even too hot for the fish ><
though you did say you keep your others cooler so I take it you would this one too if there was a fish in it ><
I agree with Pew though, around 85 and up would probably start killing it D:
Yup i have things i do to keep the other tanks cool. right now i wrap cold towels around the back of the tanks, it seems to keep them at a pretty constant temp, maybe with a degree or two change during the day. when i get home from work i usually re-soak the towels and if it's getting really hot in the room i put a fan on which helps. during the summer i'll hopefully have a/c which will help loads. but i have to get my unit checked out. i didn't wrap this tank because i didn't think it would be affected too much yesterday, when i checked it at lunch time the temp was at 80 and the room wasn't hot but when i got back from work it had gone up significantly.

Quote:
90 is pushing it with a fish, yes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrealm View Post
whoops, the it was referring to the bacteria by the way x3;
though again I suspect it might start killing the fish too x~x""
since you can cool the others I'm guessing you know how, but a side note any way if they're getting too high you might try floating some icecubes in a closed up container >< ( if you live somewhere really hot ) to keep it a little more down.... cold water works too but it might not be as safe a method once you add a fish ;-;
i really want some of those plastic ice cube things, i think i'll get some and have them ready just in case the temp rises too much. i'm only in ohio so you wouldn't think it's be too hot here but it gets pretty humid which doesn't help.

Thanks for the help everyone. i'm going to start the cycle again and keep the tank cooler this time.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #1362 
inkrealm

Best wishes Phoenix ^-^ sorry about your previous group haha ><;
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #1363 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Personally, I only put them down if they are truly suffering, and there is no other way to let them live a healthy and happy life. What symptoms keep popping up Tsoto?
It seems like he keeps getting swim bladder over and over again. I tried everything fed him less, made sure the pellets are soaked really good, he only gets two pellets now once a day and I keep finding weird stuff in him tank it is white stuff floating on the bottom I know its not food because he eats it. its not from dirty water cause I change it all the time. It always looks like he haves a bubble in him body(about a day after he eats) then he floats on him side, so I keep fasting him untill the bubble goes away and he acts normal. His belly is always fat and the back half of him is super skinny-not at all like my others Im wondering if he also haves parasites too
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #1364 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix91 View Post
Okay, so i can safely assume all of my bacteria died. :( I don't know what happened, it wasn't even that hot here yesterday plus the tank is in a shaded corner and i've been keeping the curtains shut.
So wait, the heater isnt on and it gets like that? Eesh.

It might be the filter heating it up. Both of mine can keep my tank at 78-82' without the heater on in a warm room.

You can also get a mini fan (the sell them at Target and such for cheap) that are really really small that can blow gently past the top of the water, cooling it down. You'll need to add in new water more often from evaporation, but meh- cycling means water changes anyway XD
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #1365 
phoenix91

Quote:
So wait, the heater isnt on and it gets like that? Eesh.

It might be the filter heating it up. Both of mine can keep my tank at 78-82' without the heater on in a warm room.

You can also get a mini fan (the sell them at Target and such for cheap) that are really really small that can blow gently past the top of the water, cooling it down. You'll need to add in new water more often from evaporation, but meh- cycling means water changes anyway XD
Yeah, without the heaters in my other tanks and with my cooling measures they are still staying at 80. i'm actually dreading the summer and am now making plans that if it gets too hot for my fishies i'll bring them to work with me and leave them all in my office over the summer; i can't wait to see my dads face when he finds 3 fish tanks in the office :D

i noticed the water had gone down a little in my cycling tank this morning so i'll top it up tonight.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #1366 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
It seems like he keeps getting swim bladder over and over again. I tried everything fed him less, made sure the pellets are soaked really good, he only gets two pellets now once a day and I keep finding weird stuff in him tank it is white stuff floating on the bottom I know its not food because he eats it. its not from dirty water cause I change it all the time. It always looks like he haves a bubble in him body(about a day after he eats) then he floats on him side, so I keep fasting him untill the bubble goes away and he acts normal. His belly is always fat and the back half of him is super skinny-not at all like my others Im wondering if he also haves parasites too
he must have chronic sbd then. If your tank doesn't already have a top on, I suggest buying one or using saran wrap with holes poked it to help the humidity increase (this could help allieve some of the symptoms). Is the white stuff fungus or like a goop? When he poos, is it white and clear or the color of his pellets? When you say "bubble," what do you mean; can you please elaborate?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #1367 
erinHAZ

I have a 2 gallon tank with a filter. how often should I do water changes?
erinHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #1368 
SillyCone

I'm not sure, but I would try to do a 50% change every 4-7 days then 100% after another 4-7 days.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #1369 
Neil D

At sillycone

I just noticed ur sig says 'that's me in the phOto alright.' ur an orange cone?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #1370 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
he must have chronic sbd then. If your tank doesn't already have a top on, I suggest buying one or using saran wrap with holes poked it to help the humidity increase (this could help allieve some of the symptoms). Is the white stuff fungus or like a goop? When he poos, is it white and clear or the color of his pellets? When you say "bubble," what do you mean; can you please elaborate?
It look like an air bubble is inside him. His body is kinda white/cello so you can kinda see through him when the light is on behind the tank. I will take a picture next time it happens. sometimes the poop is the color of the pellets but most of the time it is white with a black dot on it. I suppose the white stuff is more like fungus rather than goopy. its always throughout the water and never on his body. He is a CT and I remember people saying CT gets SBD more than other bettas. could his poop be the white stuff floating in the tank? Can it sorta disolve from the white string and break up like that-maybe if he has parasites?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote