Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #1421 
JKfish

I would up your feedings to 2 twice a day if possible :) And so long as you have a set fasting day and keep an eye out for bloating, they ought to be fine
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #1422 
n3wport

Ive probably had this fish for the past 2 weeks. I bought him from petco and he had finrot. He has signs of growth on his tail but it seems to have gotten shorter in the recovery process. I do daily 70% water changes either every day or every other day depending on if I am working all night or not. He never goes more than 3 days. His tank is a 2.5 gallon, water conditioned with prime and AQ salt occansional captaptpa leaf.. Filter turned off. What more should I try? He is a crowntail and Im afraid he will never have a beautiful tail!!! UGH
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #1423 
JKfish

it's heated right? Are you doing at least one 100% water change a week along with your other water changes? What food are you feeding? High protein foods like frozen bloodworms helps improve fin growth.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #1424 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I would up your feedings to 2 twice a day if possible :) And so long as you have a set fasting day and keep an eye out for bloating, they ought to be fine
So, 2 pellets twice a day? Thanks~! I will do that then :D
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #1425 
Betty

Wink Question

So I have a male betta and am getting three females, I have 2 tanks established-a breeding and main tank-I know how to breed them but when the father finishes caring for fry I know he will start to eat them but i can't put him in the main tank with the 3 females because he will kill them-any ideas how i can keep all fish happy?Do female's eat their babies???Thanks :)
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #1426 
Neil D

@ JKfish,

That's the best pic ever of a Bettas fun age while he was in his tank (10G), if I do say so my self! I'll try to get some pics up after school, maybe of the top of his head? He doesnt lOok multicolor , his overall color is pinky/red with red fins. His head turns a blood red cos its darker than the rest of him.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #1427 
Wyvern

2 quick questions:
1st - I suspect my one boy is biting his tail - its looking more ragged every day. Im planning on swapping the boys in their tanks so that they get a change of scenery. Also it started when the weather here turned misrable - our winter started earlier than normal with lots of big storms (we are known as the Cape of Storms tho so its to be expected :P). I found if I turn the lights off he goes bananas and when its on hes calmer?? He is a very healthy boy otherwise - no bubble nest but I suspect its more due to the trickle filter system that I have.

2nd one - how many girls can I put in a 10gallon tank, it will be heavily planted as soon as I can source plants and find homes for my goldfish. Also I will stick with my gravel since I hate sand as a substrate - found my plants struggled in it. Can I add anything with the girls in the tank? No snails pls.

Thanks guys :)
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #1428 
Neil D

@ Betty,

Divide the females tank 2G for the male and (assumed) 8G for the females. Females should be in groups of 4+ and in ideally a 10G. After the male stops taking care of them they are totally dependent on you. The arrangement should work out until you can move the male to his own place. I would ask other People though before doing anything. Females and fry cannot be kept together! Good luck!

@wyvern,

I would say that in a 10G, 4-5 females is at the max. Anymore fish would be too much. Unsure what your first question was...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:36 AM   #1429 
Wyvern

Hehe sorry I saw just now I was unclear - any other methods of distracting my boy when we have storms to prevent the tail biting? Im just looking for ideas to keep the idiot calm.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #1430 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
it's heated right? Are you doing at least one 100% water change a week along with your other water changes? What food are you feeding? High protein foods like frozen bloodworms helps improve fin growth.
Yes! he eats omega one pellets and has freeze dried blood worms as treats. I do water changes and his tank is always at 80 degrees. I dont have a heater its just how hot my rfoom is, which will change eventually, once I get a ceiling fan. Haha.
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote