Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 06:42 AM   #1431 
Neil D

Your betta is not an idiot! He's just special... add an object in front of his tank or just play with him. Maybe a ping pong ball floating in his tank?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #1432 
Betty

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
@ Betty,

Divide the females tank 2G for the male and (assumed) 8G for the females. Females should be in groups of 4+ and in ideally a 10G. After the male stops taking care of them they are totally dependent on you. The arrangement should work out until you can move the male to his own place. I would ask other People though before doing anything. Females and fry cannot be kept together! Good luck!

@wyvern,

I would say that in a 10G, 4-5 females is at the max. Anymore fish would be too much. Unsure what your first question was...

Thanks, I will devide the tank then, Is using plexiglass and glass sucker's like the ones you get on your heater+filter a good way to devide the tank?I have a lid on so i would have to make the devider myself as i cannot find any tank devider's for tanks that have lids, thanks again you have been very helpful!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #1433 
Wyvern

Heheheh Neil, He is an idiot :P his favourite place to nap is on the filter intake area. Ive covered it now with pantihose just incase. But basically he wraps himself around the pipe and just naps there. My mum calls it his personal jacuzzi! He is just a silly bugger most of the time in anycase. Very calm and relaxed for the most part. Its normally Moon that goes bonkers in his tank. Hes a very active boy who is constantly rearranging his own tank.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #1434 
Betty

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Heheheh Neil, He is an idiot :P his favourite place to nap is on the filter intake area. Ive covered it now with pantihose just incase. But basically he wraps himself around the pipe and just naps there. My mum calls it his personal jacuzzi! He is just a silly bugger most of the time in anycase. Very calm and relaxed for the most part. Its normally Moon that goes bonkers in his tank. Hes a very active boy who is constantly rearranging his own tank.

You could put some different food in like frozen courgette, then that might occupy him while the storm passes, he sounds like a unique fish :P

Possibly even somewhere to hide, it might make him feel safer, I know our fish seem to hide when there is a storm, and it would also be a good place for him to check out which would mean he wasn't concentrating on the storm :)

Hope this helps!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #1435 
Betty

Live bait would also help!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #1436 
Betty

@Niel D: one other thing!if it was 3 females and 1 male in a 70 litre tank would the male kill all female's or would they kill him or would having 3 of them mean that there is more chance that they would divert attention between the three of them meaning there was less chance of him killing one from harrassing her all the time?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #1437 
Wyvern

Thanks Betty, he has his terracotta pot to hide in when he feels like it. He hardly ever looks at it tho. He is just a stubborn bugger :P I love him to bits tho. Ill see if I can find anything else to float on his water to entertain him - needs to be small tho there isnt a lot of clearance between the lid and the water. As for live food, I will have to see what I can do, problem is when we get a storm it can last anything from an hour up to a week.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #1438 
Betty

Quote:
Thanks Betty, he has his terracotta pot to hide in when he feels like it. He hardly ever looks at it tho. He is just a stubborn bugger :P I love him to bits tho. Ill see if I can find anything else to float on his water to entertain him - needs to be small tho there isnt a lot of clearance between the lid and the water. As for live food, I will have to see what I can do, problem is when we get a storm it can last anything from an hour up to a week.

Just had a thought!Is there any chance that the darkness in your house is causing a reflection of himself in the tank glass?This would lead to him attempting to attack his reflection but he would be attacking himself!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #1439 
Wyvern

We he hasnt glass surfed before, I know my other boy did it at first. I will keep an eye on him tonite, turn the lights off a bit earlier than normal and just watch him. See if I can catch him in the act of being naughty. He reminds me of my baba woof, well she isnt a baba anymore, but she used to be extremely naughty.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #1440 
Betty

Wink

Quote:
We he hasnt glass surfed before, I know my other boy did it at first. I will keep an eye on him tonite, turn the lights off a bit earlier than normal and just watch him. See if I can catch him in the act of being naughty. He reminds me of my baba woof, well she isnt a baba anymore, but she used to be extremely naughty.

I hope tonight goes well, it might just be the noise that bothers him but it is worth checking because it is no good for him if he is attacking himself and is getting stressed!!! :)