Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #1441 
inkrealm

Wyvern-
if it's not glass-surfing, you might try wrapping something around the glass?
leave the top for air,
but that might take some bite off the noise/vibrations? ^-^
and then see how he reacts to it,
mine doesn't like being wrapped silly ridiculous child >.<; but some don't mind and it may help ^-^
also watch the temp during this
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #1442 
Wyvern

I will have to wait now for the next storm. It seems to have gone by us now finally. I will see tho if I cant find more things to entertain him with. The temps actually could also play a role I suspect. Mine is at 26 degrees at the moment but I suspect early mornings its dropping rapidly. Altho our nights never drop below 8 degrees during winter it does drop rapidly after 12am. So it could maybe play a part. Cos when Im gaming on my pc and I can watch him, he behaves himself. Its just when I turn the lights off now at night. And just the past few days, hes never acted out during the night before.

@ Betty - I made a divider for my tank with plastic project binders and plant mesh/craft mesh (we only get the plant one here). I cut the mesh slightly to big for the tank and put the binders on the sides and slide it in, mine curves a little but it keeps it stable and upright in the tank. Ive also added Java moss to the mesh by sticking clumps of it all over the show with the hopes it will create a moss wall! I need more moss tho waiting for some at our LFS. Unfortunately for me I want more plants for my tanks but we dont get really nice plants :(
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #1443 
Betty

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
I will have to wait now for the next storm. It seems to have gone by us now finally. I will see tho if I cant find more things to entertain him with. The temps actually could also play a role I suspect. Mine is at 26 degrees at the moment but I suspect early mornings its dropping rapidly. Altho our nights never drop below 8 degrees during winter it does drop rapidly after 12am. So it could maybe play a part. Cos when Im gaming on my pc and I can watch him, he behaves himself. Its just when I turn the lights off now at night. And just the past few days, hes never acted out during the night before.

@ Betty - I made a divider for my tank with plastic project binders and plant mesh/craft mesh (we only get the plant one here). I cut the mesh slightly to big for the tank and put the binders on the sides and slide it in, mine curves a little but it keeps it stable and upright in the tank. Ive also added Java moss to the mesh by sticking clumps of it all over the show with the hopes it will create a moss wall! I need more moss tho waiting for some at our LFS. Unfortunately for me I want more plants for my tanks but we dont get really nice plants :(

Thanks Wyvern :) will see if i can find these things to make into a divider :)))
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #1444 
Wyvern

No worries! I just found its the easiest way to make a divider that fits the tank and doesnt interfere with the hood. Mine is about 3 cms above the water and the boys are rather lazy they only jump for food :P I just did a 90% water change, moved decorations and swopped the boys from their sides of the tank so that it looks like new to them. They are loving the change. But now I can see how badly his fins are :( at least hes looking good otherwise. And loved his dinner of 3 bloodworms (the ones I have currently are very short bout 5mm.) They even blowed bubbles at me! Havent seen them do that in over a week!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #1445 
Neil D

Hey just wondering, are there any live foods I can feed my guy that don't carry or have a good reputation about carrying infections? I don't want my guy getting one
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #1446 
JKfish

Most healthy bettas can fight off whatever it is a live food could be carrying. I know OldFishLady gets tubberwares, fills them with oak leaves and such, and fills it with water to attract mosquitoes. To harvest, she nets them, rinse well, and then feed.... She feeds the larve and whatever other larve she finds in those bucket/tubberwares to her bettas and she says they are all fine.

If you wanted to, you could technically start up a colony of guppy fry to feed. Maybe put together a 10 gallon set up with 3 females and one male.... this way you know their general health and the general health of your fry that you feed.

Last edited by JKfish; 05-31-2011 at 06:59 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #1447 
Neil D

What about live brine shrimp? I dont feel comfortable breeding guppies only to kill the fry
Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #1448 
JKfish

baby brine shrimp are fine too :)
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #1449 
Neil D

Do they have rep for carrying diseases?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #1450 
JKfish

no, not since you hatch them from eggs in a hatchery... Breeders feed BBS to their fry as one of the first few foods, so it's got to be safe :)