Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #1451 
Neil D

Can you buy them from a LFS? Or what about daphnia?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #1452 
JKfish

I know my Petsmart sells brineshrimp eggs and an expensive hatchery, but you can make one for half the price from a 2 liter soda bottle.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #1453 
Neil D

How? I dont think Id feel so comfortable doing that either Thats just me...But id still like to know how. And I'll contact DQ about her mosquito thingy
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #1454 
JKfish

this is a good link, but you don't have to do the whole hanger wire thing, they are fine in regular room temps... or at least that's what I've heard. I'm not sure how much salt would be necessary, so you'll want to ask one of the breeders who feeds bbs (I think Mr.Vampire does) , they would probably know.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #1455 
Betty

@Niel D :Baby brine shrimp would be best, You can hatch them by Turning the heat up slightly i your tank and hanging the bag in the water-reccomended by LFS, can't wait to get my females but will have to wait to breed them untill the start of august as I am going to poland for my uncles wedding!Wish i could take all babies with me!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #1456 
Betty

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
No worries! I just found its the easiest way to make a divider that fits the tank and doesnt interfere with the hood. Mine is about 3 cms above the water and the boys are rather lazy they only jump for food :P I just did a 90% water change, moved decorations and swopped the boys from their sides of the tank so that it looks like new to them. They are loving the change. But now I can see how badly his fins are :( at least hes looking good otherwise. And loved his dinner of 3 bloodworms (the ones I have currently are very short bout 5mm.) They even blowed bubbles at me! Havent seen them do that in over a week!

Just seen simon (the male) has a huge rip in his tail and can't understand why!Its strange he was fine yesterday!!!What i do know is he can see his reflection in tank glass but isn't trying to attack himself!Really worried!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #1457 
Wyvern

It could be from flaring at his reflection. Dont stress to much, since my boy's tailbiting ways has started he doesnt have much left - but at lest he stopped for now. (I dont think he can reach the left overs :P silly child). Just keep the water clean and warm and feed him some proteins - mine gets bloodworms now every 2nd night till their tails are fine again.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #1458 
Betty

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
It could be from flaring at his reflection. Dont stress to much, since my boy's tailbiting ways has started he doesnt have much left - but at lest he stopped for now. (I dont think he can reach the left overs :P silly child). Just keep the water clean and warm and feed him some proteins - mine gets bloodworms now every 2nd night till their tails are fine again.

Thanks Wyvern, I feel a lot better knowing it isn't my fault and that I haven't done anything that made his tail split!!!I am currently treating my tank for a small infection so I know that might be something that didn't help the situation but hopefully the treatment will start doing its work soon!!!I am using a chemical treatmet and they said it would be fine at my LFS and better than the stuff that works in 3 days as it works within 24hours so hopefully Simon will be ok
Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #1459 
phoenix91

I think my CT Oji might be biting his tail. The once longish strands on his tail have now gone. i circled the area where i think he's biting bits off. Is there anything i need to add to the water or give him food wise to keep it clean and stop him getting fin rot? I change his water twice a week, 50% each time w/ gravel vacuuming both times because it's just easier to do that.

Sorry the photo is blurry, he wouldn't stay still.

Name:  photo (5).JPG
Views: 30
Size:  36.3 KB

Also, not betta related really but how big can pond snails get? I've got a breeding tank that has been set up for maybe 3 weeks and some of them are starting to get big.

Is it possible to get an albino pond snail? it probably is and that's probably a stupid question.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #1460 
JKfish

Betty, if your betta can see his reflection in the glass, there is a way to fix it :). When a betta's tank is in a shady or shadowy part of the house and you have a light directly over the tank turned on, the glass becomes reflective like a mirror. Just add more more lights around and near the tank or move it to a better lit part of the room. If that's not the case, and he's just flaring, it is common for bettas to blow their fins, however with clean warm water and good food it'll heal in no time :)

Pheonix, he's probably tail biting, in which case you would treat it like you would finrot, just with clean warm water and a good diet. If you think something is triggering it, here are some possiblilites: stress, poor water quality, too much of a filter flow, too much light, too little light, or boredom.... Of course, there are other factors, and the possiblility he just might have a ocd sort of problem but chances are it might just be a one time thing. Hmm, I don't know about the albino snail thing, but it's probably possible...