Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #1471 
Pataflafla

Is reverse osmosis water ok to use for fish tank water without treating it for chlorine?

I'm currently still treating it for my betta, Ratchet, but he needs daily water changes for a little while to help him heal from Walmart care, and I'm running out of conditioner for his water.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #1472 
PewPewPew

You cant get more conditioner? :o

You can allow the water to sit for at least 24 hours, which lets the chlorine evaporate. It does not, however, remove other things like chloramine, heavy metals, etc, which conditioner will.

Use tap water that you let sit until you can get more :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #1473 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
You cant get more conditioner? :o

You can allow the water to sit for at least 24 hours, which lets the chlorine evaporate. It does not, however, remove other things like chloramine, heavy metals, etc, which conditioner will.

Use tap water that you let sit until you can get more :)
I can get more conditioner, but the only stores that sell it are quite a far ways from my house and I've been using quite a bit of it with the daily water changes for Ratchet as well as the occasional conditioning of my female's water.

By reverse osmosis I mean filtered water safe for drinking. It comes out of a completely different faucet than the tap water. Or would that still contain chlorine and other materials?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #1474 
JKfish

Pataflafla, if you are running out of conditioner so quickly , you might want to try buying Prime. You will only need 2 drops per gallon, so even a tiny one bottle lasts a while. RO water works, just be sure to acclimate your boy to the new water until you can get conditioner.

echo: females don't tend to bite their own tails as typically as males do, but you never know. And as to if they will get along with other fish, it all depends on your set up and your girl's temperment. Each and every betta will have his or her own seperate personality, so if your girl is calm, she'd probably do well with other fish.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #1475 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Pataflafla, if you are running out of conditioner so quickly , you might want to try buying Prime. You will only need 2 drops per gallon, so even a tiny one bottle lasts a while. RO water works, just be sure to acclimate your boy to the new water until you can get conditioner.
Thanks. I've been going through it so quickly because it's only in a small package from when I bought his 10 gallon tank and he's currently in need of 100% water changes for a few days to recover. I'll be going through a lot less once he's strong enough to swim in his 10 gallon tank and once I know if my female has parasites or not before dividing the tank. He's probably in a quarter to half gallon tank while the female currently has about 3 gallons since she's stronger and bigger.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #1476 
JKfish

If he's in a 1/2 gallon or less, he needs to have 100% water changes every single day. Your girl needs two 50% and a 100% a week. If their water isn't heated, I would stick them in tubberwares and float them in the 10 gallon if it is heated. This'll help your boy get better quicker and your girl stay healthy (in tubberwares 100% water changes a day would be necessary). I'd also be careful about dividing a 10 gallon. The hormones could build up, and keep them both in a breeding set of mind the whole time, which would be unhealthy for them. Not to mention there have been several members who have had incidents where either the male or female has hopped sides and they came home to a bubblenest of eggs.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #1477 
Neil D

Please HELP!!! my fish's filter is driving me insane!!!! It won't be quiet and the baffle is making me PO!!!!! What filters are quiet, and don't make any splashy noises?!? My filter is a whisper 5-15 that is baffled. I DON'T WANT TO USE A BAFFLE! A nice filter that won't piss me off AND won't kill my betta would be nice. Are there any for less than 30$?!? Please answer and sorry if I sound really really mad!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #1478 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
If he's in a 1/2 gallon or less, he needs to have 100% water changes every single day. Your girl needs two 50% and a 100% a week. If their water isn't heated, I would stick them in tubberwares and float them in the 10 gallon if it is heated. This'll help your boy get better quicker and your girl stay healthy (in tubberwares 100% water changes a day would be necessary). I'd also be careful about dividing a 10 gallon. The hormones could build up, and keep them both in a breeding set of mind the whole time, which would be unhealthy for them. Not to mention there have been several members who have had incidents where either the male or female has hopped sides and they came home to a bubblenest of eggs.
He is getting a full water change every afternoon. The tank is heated and not completely full yet. But I don't think he'll have to share his tank for too long since my sister plans on starting a sorority for her females once she gets one more. I'll probably end up trading tanks with her and switch him to a divided 5 gallon tank with another male on the other side.

My last betta pair happened to hop over the divider in their tank and spawn because I left the lid off thinking there would be no problems. Eggs were in the bubble nest when I got home, but the male started to eat the eggs after a few hours. My female would regularly hop the divider afterwards but she never had any fin damage from being with the male for whatever reasons. She was a particularly vicious female though.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #1479 
inkrealm

Neil- mine isn't that loud, I can't even hear it most of the time,
is the output really far above the water? I just fill mine right up to it, and it's uber quiet...
here is what I have P:

mine is baffled for my little buddy's sake,
but it was quiet without it as well.
maybe yours just isn't close enough to the output though?
also what's the matter with the baffle? ^-^;;
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #1480 
PewPewPew

Make sure that the water is filled up to an appropriate level, the intake pipe (if you have one) is pushed into the filter right, and that you've filled it with enough water beforehand.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote