Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #1551 
bahamut285

@Nel: 7.6 is fine, however if you do want to change the pH, you'll have to do it accurately every single time you do a water change, which is why changing the pH is generally not recommended unless it is something ridiculous like 3 or 9 (in which case you shouldn't even be DRINKING it let alone using it for fish).

The bottles should come with their own instructions, but if it were me, I wouldn't touch it. My pH is higher than yours and my fish are happy and healthy!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #1552 
bahamut285

@Nikkic: Depends on the temperament of your individual betta. Some are very bold, some are very shy, so you'll have to adjust that yourself. As for resting on plants, yes it's fairly normal for them to rest sometimes, although I'm not sure if it is normal for them to be in the same spot ALL the time. Usually they rest near the top so they can relax while still breathing through the labyrinth organ.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #1553 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@Nel: 7.6 is fine, however if you do want to change the pH, you'll have to do it accurately every single time you do a water change, which is why changing the pH is generally not recommended unless it is something ridiculous like 3 or 9 (in which case you shouldn't even be DRINKING it let alone using it for fish).

The bottles should come with their own instructions, but if it were me, I wouldn't touch it. My pH is higher than yours and my fish are happy and healthy!
thank you very much bahamut, i was just getting confused from the nh3/nh4 reading i got from. its below .6mg/l, not sure of exact as its a pallet of 6 shades of yellow from 0-7.3 mg/l. the 7.6 ph row shows a very narrow band of ammonia levels that may be dangerous. both test kits are hagen/nutrafin. i'll just submit the samples every few days to a pet store to get an idea when the dangerous levels come into play for the betta. i guess somewhere between 6.0-7.0 is a good range to keep ammonia at bay. though i wont get any ph modifier until i know how fast the ammonia builds up.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #1554 
nikkic

ok tysm. each of our boys have there own betta and we just havent moved the one into his room yet....it seems like a younger fish(very hyper, lol) and my other sons is bigger with longer fins and much mellower(has had him about 2yrs now). and no he dose not always rest there. i just thought it was odd, lol. also, is there more of a reflection from there point of view when the room is darker and there tank light is on. cause ill walk into the room and hell be all puffed out...lol
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #1555 
Neil D

haha yeah. If the room is dark, and the tank lights are on, the betta(s) will flare cos they can see their reflection.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #1556 
bahamut285

@Nel: Test your tapwater, if your tapwater has ammonia in it, then that's a different problem, if it's just your tank with ammonia, then, unless you're cycling you may want to add an additional water change day
Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #1557 
nel3

i just found a beautiful marble DT with green fins on aquabid (from a Thailand fish farm). how does aqua bid work regarding previewing shipping rates?
just what does this mean?
Shipping cost from Thailand to transhipper in USA. $ 5 usd/each Zone EU : Shipping directly to you by Ems. $ 50 USD/box (1-6 bettas) Zone ASIA : Shipping directly to you by Ems. $ 25 USD/box (1-6 bettas)
i presume it would be 25 usd and $25 to buy now, (6 days until close). i know its $50 but it almost my dream fish: marble or cambodian with light green fin/body.

are the sellers on aquabid certified to sell the fish or is it best to ask b4? seller is from Em Betta Breeding Farm Auction.

@ bahamut: i have yet to get the pet shop to test the ammonia in the tap water and i tried it with nutrafin ammonia test. think there's some in it but not 100 sure.

Last edited by nel3; 06-11-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #1558 
JKfish

Nel, I highly recommend you go to walmart and buy an API Master Test kit... it'll save a lot of time when you need to test your water and it'll last a while. Sellers are indeed certified, but chances are it'll state it as well in their description.

here are the costs:

to the breeder: price of fish + 5 dollars to export from thailand

to the Transshipper:(about) 2 dollars for shipping and handling, 2 dollars for importation, 5 dollar box fee, 2 dollar heat or cool pack fee (only when necessary), anywhere from 10-30 or so dollars for shipping (I highly recommend going for express even though it is more expensive).

Most breeders are very good about communication despite the language barrier. They will contact you first and ask for payment as well as who you want to be your transhipper. For transhippers, I highly recommend Jennifer (hopdiggity), she is extremely reliable and a good transshipper.

As for buying it, you have to keep in mind marbles can change literally overnight. He could come to you looking like a completely different fish. Over time, he could possibly become all white or completely another color. Also, you want to make sure you have a proper set up ready and running for your fish before he arrives. As in a 2.5 gallon heated tank. If Nel isn't in the proper set up, you should first get him in the proper set up before you consider buying another fish and having to get another set up.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #1559 
nel3

ty, i'll have go to to walmart for a test kit. how much does walmart usually charge? my brother has gone downto the states yesterday. iv'e asked if he could check for the prices of 1-3 gallon tanks as no good deals locally if he gets a chance to see a pet shop. i've already located a heater at walmart.

out of curiousity, how fast are the delivery of any fish? time delays dont mean much for inanimate items like gundam models to name one.

Last edited by nel3; 06-12-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #1560 
Betty

Hi guys I just thought I'd give you a quick update-today I got 3females for my 70liter tank, they have gone in the same tank as my veil tail simon, my Local fish shop told me that you can put 3 females in the same tank with the male because he will have 3 ways to direct his attention meaning that he won't kill the females from just chasing one of them!the females are half moon's I think but I'm not sure, I will try and post a picture of them, Simon is flaring like crazy, he's in seventh heaven like all his birthdays have come at once!!!the ladies are very happy with their man and don't seem bothered by the chasing at all very tolerant and seem to be enjoying all this attention, bars appearing on their bodies already but sadly for now I will have to wait to breed them and the power filter should hopefully keep any bubbly nest building at bay, we called them sandy suzie and sapphire, sandy is a peachy colour sapphire has a blue body and red fins and suzie has turquoise tints to her along with other colours which I cannot fully see at the moment!!!very pleased with purchase good buy fish in great condition and will keep you updated, and I can confirm you can keep 3 females with one male they will all thrive on each other's attention!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote