Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #1561 
JKfish

Nel, walmart sells it for 20 dollars, but it lasts forever.... I've had mine over a year and I've used it for several cycles, and it's only halfway used. :) Breeders usually ship on mondays and they get to the US (or canada) on tuesdays. Express typically gets your fish there the day after the transshipper ships. Since transshippers tend to have a lot of fish, how soon you pay them will determine how soon they will ship. I forgot you weren't in the states, so I'm pretty sure the costs will be higher than those in the US, and I know the transshippers will be different, but it's the same general idea. look to see what canadian transshippers there are, and email them or visit their sites to see their prices. Tell your brother to look at the medium sized kritter keepers (they are about 3 gallons), and they should be a decent price like 10 or so dollars.

Betty, what you are doing definately isn't conventional to say the least and is potentially dangerous. Firstly, you are attempting a sorority, so you need more than 3 girls seeing as they also fight among themselves. Secondly, you are adding a male into the mix. You don't just have to worry about the females being hurt by the male, you have to worry about the male being hurt by the females. You have to keep in mind these are fighting fish and even though things might seem fine and dandy at the moment, things can literally change over night and you could potentially wake up to a dead fish. They aren't social fish. I highly advise you remove either Simon or your females to a different tank. If you decide not to, then keep an eye out for stress, abnormal behavior, agression, etc and keep us updated.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #1562 
Lion Mom

I, for one, am interested in hearing how things turn out for Betty. IMO, I would be absolutely AWESOME if one COULD keep a sorority with a male.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #1563 
Neil D

Haha it would be interesting
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #1564 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Nel, walmart sells it for 20 dollars, but it lasts forever.... I've had mine over a year and I've used it for several cycles, and it's only halfway used. :) Breeders usually ship on mondays and they get to the US (or canada) on tuesdays. Express typically gets your fish there the day after the transshipper ships. Since transshippers tend to have a lot of fish, how soon you pay them will determine how soon they will ship. I forgot you weren't in the states, so I'm pretty sure the costs will be higher than those in the US, and I know the transshippers will be different, but it's the same general idea. look to see what canadian transshippers there are, and email them or visit their sites to see their prices. Tell your brother to look at the medium sized kritter keepers (they are about 3 gallons), and they should be a decent price like 10 or so dollars.
thank you for the information. transshipping in canada seems hard to find as it is. i'll send an email to the seller asking if they know any such transshipers. google is rather hard to use for that imo, too many results are selected..

my bother came back yesterday 2 day trip), shouldve also mentioned walmart . he didnt locate a pet store as he didnt find them in the particular mall he went to. i will definately drop by when my work schedule and trips to USA coincide. my schedule sucks if i want to plan ahead for trips to USA.

i so love living in Quebec, they always want distinct business so much that any big brand store you find in the rest of the provinces probably wasn't allowed in.

Last edited by nel3; 06-12-2011 at 04:04 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #1565 
inkrealm

edit: whoops late post, sorry x3

Last edited by inkrealm; 06-12-2011 at 10:26 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #1566 
nel3

had a surprising day today. my father woke me up telling me he's going to USA to check up on our place there. i tagged along and found a petsmart.

got a aqueon 2.5 gal (US 35w/o tax), api ammonia tester kit (master kit out of stock, US 32 w/o tax) and 1.7floz bottle of prime conditioner. did a water test with the api nh3-4 kit. 100 tap water has .25ppm of ammonia in it and 4 days no wc 1gal tank gave .5ppm. left the water like that as a test for ammonia build up. did a 75 wc after that got .5 ppm ammonia result. would that be possible nitrates or the fact the 1gal tank is second hand (but still very good condition) and washed before i recieved it. the booklet with the aqueon tank said ammonia will be high with new tanks b4 it gets better or use ammolock to detoxify. would ammolock help with all the water chages in a 1gal? all i usually do is run hot water on the rocks and decorations.

the 2.5 gal came with the usual filter and light, got 3 extra filters for it. not sure which heater would even be suitable for a good price.

Last edited by nel3; 06-14-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #1567 
bahamut285

@Nel, if it is a 1 gallon tank you should be doing 100% water changes to completely remove ammonia. Normally what I do (and am doing now) when I get a new test kit is

1. Test tap water unconditioned
2. Test conditioned water

To see if there are any immediate problems with your water source, instead of waving your arms around at a possible dirty tank or expired conditioner XD!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #1568 
bahamut285

Query:

Master kit doesn't have "Safe", "Stress", "Harmful", "Danger" readings on them, but my strips do. Would it be safe to assume that they are the same? Both are from API.

For example, ammonia is:

0 ppm: Ideal
0.5 ppm: Stress
1.0 ppm: Harmful
3-6 ppm: Danger

I mean, I KNOW I should always aim for ideal but this is for just in case I absolutely have ZERO time to change, or if I am going away for a day or two. I normally make it a habit to change all my tanks before I leave but there have been a few instances where I have to just LEAVE.

**EDIT**: The API Master kit is salicylate-based. Therefore it will know the difference between Ammonia NH3 and Ammonium NH4+. Ammonium is safe (locked) and Ammonia is deadly.

Last edited by bahamut285; 06-14-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #1569 
nel3

thank you, i'll do a 100 wc tommorow and probably clean the rocks and decor while im at it and do another test. i presume the API master kit has a seperate test for nh3 and nh4. the tap water is .25ppm unconditioned, would ammolock deal with that with water changes?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #1570 
bahamut285

@Nel: If your conditioner says it removes ammonia, then it should get rid of it, no need to purchase ammo-lock.

The master kit only has the one test, which is or ammonia, but I'm not sure why ammonium is on there, it's not even mentioned anywhere in the instruction book...

So I think my kit is broken, either that or the infamous ammonia reading is more difficult than I imagined. I'm getting 0.5 ppm ammonia for tap, conditioned and established cycled tank.

How do you know when it's expired again? My Lot number for ammonia is 84A0311 and 83A0211.

Haven't used any of the other bottles yet, gotta cook dinner soon :P