Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #151 
JKfish

If you have the tank in a dark corner of your house and turn on the light, they can see their relfections, which is alright for a few minutes, but too long can cause their fins to clamp.

If you put the tank in a better lit spot, he won't see his reflection, but you could put a mirror in front of him for about 3-5 minutes each day so he can have something to do for a bit.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #152 
bubblesthefish

Thank you!
bubblesthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #153 
JKfish

2 of my six harlequin rasboras randomly kicked the bucket, and so now I have 4 perfectly healthy and almost fully grown fish. I'm considering getting one more to make the school an actual school. Should I be worried about the new little one getting bullied by the older bigger ones? I've noticed one of my harlequins does act a bit like a bully towards the others, and I don't want the new fish to get hurt. :P
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #154 
Kokonoko

1) Wanting to eventually breed my own betta... However I do honor the traditional Responsibility of a Breeder codes, so I was wondering if theress any way to limit the amount of frys produced? I'm -definently- not looking to create a barrack.. I just wanted to breed my very own betta fish to achieve certain physical aspects.

2) (Slightly off topic) My betta tank mate is an Apple snail, I've had him for about 2-3 weeks now and hes been livelyand active since the day I had him. Here recently though hes been floating at the topic, only sinking every once in a while for food. I know Apple snails go into hybernation every so often, so is this what it could be?

3) Riddle (My betta fish) is seemingly createing a new habit of becoming suctioned to the filter every once in a while for a few seconds without visible resistance (as iff enjoying it?) Should I be concerned though? He escapes easily enough and swims around perfectly fine as well. I do have a homemade plastic bottle buffer to 'mildly' redirect the current of the outflow.

Last edited by Kokonoko; 07-30-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #155 
JKfish

Chances are you might not end up with many fry as it is. Many die young, and some might have to be culled because of serious deformations, etc.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #156 
bubblesthefish

hahaha. My betta looks at me and swims over to the front of his tank everytime I walk in my room, and definitely every time I go up to his tank. I wish I could hug him and give him kisses like I do my dog so he knows I love him. rofl.
bubblesthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #157 
Kokonoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Chances are you might not end up with many fry as it is. Many die young, and some might have to be culled because of serious deformations, etc.
Hmm, do you know of a rough estimate of how many would actually live? the topic I read was kind of vague (or perhaps I forgot completely) on how many to expect. -.-; Curse my horrible memory...
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 AM   #158 
JKfish

No, but I'm sure some breeders on this forum could give you a very very rough estimate. I'm pretty sure it varies alot.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #159 
BlueHaven

Hi! I was wondering if petco sells moss (Java or Christmas)?
I went to petsmart before and they said they had some but it was growing on a rock, I wasn't sure if it was the right kind or not for my betta's tank.
Is java fern safe for them?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #160 
Lion Mom

Yes, java fern is safe for them. As well as java moss, Christmas moss, anubias, etc. As far as I know any aquatic plant is safe for them. If I am wrong about that, somebody please let me know. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote