Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #1601 
bahamut285

@inkrealm: My male sleeps on the bottom of the tank, sometimes in this cave...he also sometimes wedges himself between the ground and my marimo moss ball... Contrary to some people who say theirs sleeps on the surface on some plants. Unless it is literally a long tube that would be difficult to swim out of, then I wouldn't worry. I don't think they go up for air seconds before they suffocate, haha

UPDATE: Just watched him wake up, take a breath and exercise for a few seconds before going back to sleep. Adorable!

Last edited by bahamut285; 06-16-2011 at 04:39 AM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #1602 
Betty

Thanks for your concerns Jkfish, just realised that sapphire and silky don't gave a damn about him just ignore him completely (although they're still showing colours vvv bright) lol and sandy and simon can't bear to be away from each other, and their favourite passtime is playing hide and seek around a bush, she hides he peeks round, then he shys away and hides she peeks round, they're like a very shy pair of teenagers although I think sandy is a right flirt!!!wiggling her tail in his face lol tut tut tut!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #1603 
JKfish

Inkrealm, I wouldn't be too worried; when I had a sorority, I remember one of my girls staked her claim on a terracotta pot and she slept there every night. But if you think the fact it is glass could make it harder to find his way out, you might just want to replace it with something less see through.

betty, it's good to know they're all playing nicely.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #1604 
inkrealm

Bahamut-
here's a picture from my phone, it's small but I think it shows..

VASE

I'm almost postive the little blue blop in front of it is him x3 but after I took it he was on the other side of the tank so I didn't see him for sure. P: still he's the only fish in there and those look like fins and it's navy, so ^-^
it's more wide than long I think, doesn't look too bad does it?
as to the air thing, I guess maybe not haha, I'm not really sure how much they need the air when they choose to go up to get it >< since they obviously need it to some extent if they're going to get it DX but I guess they wouldn't cut it too close.. >-^
and aww, haha, I love catching them when they do things like that, it's so adorable :D Betta Fish are so much fun when you really watch them ^-^ thankyou for the help :D

@Betty
ahaha, the hide and go seek part is so cute :D

JKFish- thanks, ^-^
when I held it out for him outside his tank for him to see before adding it in, and when I sat it down for a minute to the side while I looked at another mug my mom had brought me, he inspected it and swam around its area both times wiggling his tail, and when I finished cleaning it and stuck it in his tank he went to inspecting it immediately again, poking at each of the sides, so I think he can see it and differentiate it. he left it right at the end and settled for sleeping beside it up under the edge instead of inside it at last minute last night, so I just turned off the light and left before he could have a chance to change his mind. now that it's day I'll try to watch him more to see if he does understand the difference. if he can then I think it should be alright, thankyou :D
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #1605 
nel3

is it okay to add some prime conditioner to a gallon of water that has a full dose of betta (5ml->.5gal) conditioner (no ammonia aspect) and goldfish bowl cleaner (5ml->1gal)?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #1606 
JKfish

Prime conditioner is a conditioner... you don't need to add any other conditioners it. :) Just use 2 drops of prime per gallon and your set. Any extra additives are pretty much wasting money. As for the goldfish bowl cleaner, I doubt it works. The only way to really and truly clean a tank is through water changes and scrubbing... besides, goldfish need 20 gallon tanks per fish, so the fact that it's a goldfish bowl cleaner makes me doubt its capabilities.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #1607 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Prime conditioner is a conditioner... you don't need to add any other conditioners it. :) Just use 2 drops of prime per gallon and your set. Any extra additives are pretty much wasting money. As for the goldfish bowl cleaner, I doubt it works. The only way to really and truly clean a tank is through water changes and scrubbing... besides, goldfish need 20 gallon tanks per fish, so the fact that it's a goldfish bowl cleaner makes me doubt its capabilities.
thank you JK, right now im just burning through the nutrafin betta conditioner which does nothing for ammonia. would a drop of prime do anything to cut ammonia? it says prime can be used in emergencies to detox nitrites and nitrates. can the same be said to kill ammonia? the goldfish bowl cleaner clams to remove visible wastes (bioligocal most likely). and improve water conditions between WCs.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #1608 
inkrealm

nel3
not sure about the Prime, I've not had time to acclimate my boy to it so I've deicded against switching him over to it even though I've got a bottle,
as for the Gold Fish stuff though, it sounds kindof funky to me >< I would use it or count on it, you never know with 'pet products' and 'pet store people' these days <T~T> they've got no clue what they're doing, the ones who don't care just wanna make money and the ones who do care have good intentions but are still clueless as hoping to the help as they may be :/
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #1609 
JKfish

Nel and Inkrealm : prime needs 2 drops of water per gallon, so 1 drop per half a gallon. It conditions the water and detoxifys ammonia and ammonium. You do not need anything else and you don't have to worry about acclimating your boys to the new water conditioner. They'll be fine with just that.

Nel: since Nel is in a 1 gallon tank, you shouldn't have to use that goldfish cleaner at all. If any visible waste is showing up, then chances are you need to do a water change. In a 1 gallon, 100% every other day is the minimum. Be sure to properly rinse out the substrate/gravel of all wastes in hot water and scrub the sides of the tank. On the day between your water changes, if you see poop, you could get a turkey baster or something along those lines to suck it out if it bothers you. If he isn't eating all the food, be sure to remove what is left over so it doesn't create waste (visible and invisible) :)
Old 06-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #1610 
Neil D

Is there any way to make Max, my new CT more active? Or is it just his personality?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote