Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #1611 
JKfish

Well, if he is in the proper set up (which I'm pretty sure he is :D ), it might just be his personality. Maybe add something new to his tank to see if it perks his interest?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #1612 
bahamut285

@NeilD: It's probably because he's new, he might brighten up soon~
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #1613 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Nel and Inkrealm : prime needs 2 drops of water per gallon, so 1 drop per half a gallon. It conditions the water and detoxifys ammonia and ammonium. You do not need anything else and you don't have to worry about acclimating your boys to the new water conditioner. They'll be fine with just that.

Nel: since Nel is in a 1 gallon tank, you shouldn't have to use that goldfish cleaner at all. If any visible waste is showing up, then chances are you need to do a water change. In a 1 gallon, 100% every other day is the minimum. Be sure to properly rinse out the substrate/gravel of all wastes in hot water and scrub the sides of the tank. On the day between your water changes, if you see poop, you could get a turkey baster or something along those lines to suck it out if it bothers you. If he isn't eating all the food, be sure to remove what is left over so it doesn't create waste (visible and invisible) :)
thats what i forgot, i usually rinse the tank in hot water along with anything in it but i havent scrubbed the walls. i have gotten my fish to eat 99% of the food as i break it into tiny pieces flakes or soaked pellets. he's an agressive eater and even junped out of the water to try to get at it . i have to feed him with a toothpick and drop the food nearby him in a sweeping motion or he'll go after the toothpick. ive tried looking a dolarama for a turkey baster but they had none. i'll just drop by a food store to get one.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #1614 
Neil D

Yeah thx he will hopefully perk up now he just ate some Frozen blood worms. Can I feed him this everyday? Maybe I'll get some other frozen foods, but can I feed him this 'forever'?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #1615 
inkrealm

Neil- variety's always good... personally I don't like bloodworms on a regular basis because they're harder to digest and I'm worried about bloating and swim bladder... but that's just me ><
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #1616 
Neil D

Haha maybe he'll move to pellets soon. I hope he does
Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #1617 
inkrealm

Neil- will he not take them?
you might try a different brand or soaking them; or if you already soak them, not soaking them :P
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #1618 
Neil D

If I soak em, they sink. Hes taken one in, then sort it back out. He also won't touch FD bloodworms *sighs* I know theyre not the best but it would be nice if he ate something other than BW!! isn't a heated 5 gallon tank enough?!? He's so spoiled...
Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #1619 
JKfish

hmm, well just keep trying Neil! Have you tried soaking with garlic juice and then dropping it right in front of his face? Even if it sinks, the movement might make him naturally want to chase and eat. If not, yes, you could feed frozen bloodworms for a while, but Inkrealm is right, you need variety. If you have to, try flakes (if you have them)... if you aren't squeemish, try and find a container outside with still water. If it has mosquito larve and you have a brine shrimp net, you could scoop some out, rinse them well, and feed one by one to him :)

Nel that's good :D You could just gently drop in presoaked pellets with your fingers if you are scared he'll bite the toothpick. I use my tank turkey baster like there is no tomorrow~ It is very handy :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #1620 
Neil D

Ya he Loves the BW!! He blew a HUGE Bubble nest this morning