Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #1631 
inkrealm

creamcookie-
is he a new betta? he might just be getting healthy after being in the pet store...
some fish ( half moons and others like that I think ) have really large fins; maybe he's one of them and with fin rot they separated but now they're just growing back together?
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #1632 
Neil D

HELP PLEASE! My new betta Max has bloat. He may have had too many bloodworms today. It doesn't look like he swallowed a marble, just a pea. So its not that large. Should I just fast him?

Last edited by Neil D; 06-17-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #1633 
inkrealm

Neil- fast him a couple days, if he still looks bloated try epsom salt, post in forums to get the correct measurements.
keep the water really clean, make sure it isn't distilled or from a filtered source,
watch for pine-coning
he should be okay :)
remember also they do have a swim bladder which will be midly visible no matter what ( two small lumps )
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #1634 
Neil D

Okay thanks! He looks way less bloated than what he was yesterday. I'm gonna fast him today and tmrw.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #1635 
nel3

wow the ammonia test comparisons are driving me a bit crazy. nutrafin shows 0 on fresh tap water (unconditioned), API shows consistent .25 (fresh, unconditioned) and 2-3 days in tank its .5. nutrafin 2-3 days in the tank show .2-.3. would it be ok to presume .25 API is 0 or is there any proof that one kit is broken/inaacurate?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #1636 
Betty

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Ya he Loves the BW!! He blew a HUGE Bubble nest this morning

Daphnia are great as it will get his attention and they also act as a laxative for gloating so it is beneficial in more than one way!!!hope he starts eating better soon!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #1637 
Betty

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty View Post
Daphnia are great as it will get his attention and they also act as a laxative for gloating so it is beneficial in more than one way!!!hope he starts eating better soon!!!

Sorry great for bloating stupid predictive text!!!
It's alright when you don't want to pay attention to how you are spelling nut when you mean something and it decides you don't want that word you want a completely different word it's vvv irritating, all going well simon sandy sapphire and silky all doing great, simon attempting to blow a bubble nest but it isn't working as the filter in our show tank creates a very strong current, highly amusing to see little finger tip sized bubbles flowing around the top of the tank, he tried to blow again yesterday while he was eating and ended up spitting it's baby pellet into the nest!!!he looked very confused until he realised it wasnt a baby just his mashed up tea lol-although it did take until it hit him on the forehead to work it out, I have a sneaky suspicion he's just a little bit thick!!!

Will keep you posted, next post should be in a couple of days, just wondering if simon and sandy will attempt to breed even without the bubbly nest, come to think of it the filter is great birth control, I just hope they are patient until it comes to putting them in the breeding tank with the sponge filter!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #1638 
Like You

I'm just curious..
My tank is hovering around 78 degrees Fahrenheit with no heater.
Is that okay or should I go get a heater?
And a filter while I'm getting a heater?

It's a 10 gal tank
Like You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #1639 
JKfish

If you live somewhere warm where the temperature doesn't swing too much, then you should be realtively fine. However, if the temps swing at night or such when your house cools, then you might want to consider getting a heater. You don't need a filter unless you want to cycle it. Cycling would be a good idea if you have more in that tank than just a betta, since it would reduce your water changes to just a partial one once a week.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #1640 
Like You

I keep my betta alone, and my house is the same temp pretty much all year round (I live in florida ;P)
Thanks!
Like You is offline   Reply With Quote