Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #1681 
Sakura8

If they're calm enough (and your hands have no soap or lotion residue), you can put your fingers in the tank. Mine will swim around my fingers and brush their tails against them. But sadly, the best way to bond with a betta is through its stomach: food. And even more sadly, we can't feed them the amount they would like us to feed. They'd be so faaaaat!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #1682 
Betty

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If they're calm enough (and your hands have no soap or lotion residue), you can put your fingers in the tank. Mine will swim around my fingers and brush their tails against them. But sadly, the best way to bond with a betta is through its stomach: food. And even more sadly, we can't feed them the amount they would like us to feed. They'd be so faaaaat!
Lol as with anything in life!!!food food and more food always makes things ok!!!loool thanks!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #1683 
PewPewPew

Mine always bite me, hard.

.__.

Maybe it's out of love.

But probably not.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #1684 
Betty

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Mine always bite me, hard.

.__.

Maybe it's out of love.

But probably not.

Ever had tiger barbs?We got the dead skin removed from our hands weekly-it was a little painful but our hands were unbelievably soft!then the barbs died, neon tetra's stopped mysteriously dissapearing and we managed to keep a nice group of neons in our tank, sadly they all died now but I would never say no to more, I have heard they are good to breed because they are so popular!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #1685 
bahamut285

Can this thread please please please be stickied? It's kind of annoying to have to dig it up and/or search it on Google :/

Query: I was away for about a week and my 5 Gal got a little extra dirty than usual (my brother was overfeeding just a bit, so there is poop everywhere). I was just wondering if, I were to put the filter cartridges in a bowl with tank water, would I be able to do a 100% water change without killing my bacteria? I don't have a gravel vac (my makeshift one doesn't work properly) because the ones they sell at Petsmart are ENORMOUS and are overkill for my little tanks (most of them don't fit)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #1686 
Betty

Try some tubing that you connect to vac's just on its own, works great for my baby platy tank.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #1687 
bahamut285

@Betty: Really? I literally use the same thing, it doesn't work, it sucks up everything including rocks X_X. What I'm doing right now is stirring up the gravel so the poop comes up then "catch" it with the tubing XD. It works but I want to give it a good clean XD!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #1688 
Betty

Put something a little bit up the end of the tube thats big enough to take in dirty things but not gravel-maybe a washer or something
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #1689 
JKfish

Yes, you can do that, but you'll want to do the water change ASAP. I wouldn't scrub down the sides of the tanks, and I would try to avoid scrubbing the gravel if possible. If you have to rinse the gravel, use dechlorinated water. If you have a bubbler and stuck it in the bowl with the filter media, it would help keep the bacteria alive. You might go through a quick mini cycle, but it should not be harmful. Just keep an eye on your parameters.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #1690 
bahamut285

@Betty: Yeah I tried that too, I made the opening a little smaller but then the rocks would just get stuck and jam it, LOL

@JKFish: Hmm okay, I already did a larger than usual water change before posting that message above, I was only asking because while I was pouring the water back in, a lot of poop was being kicked up for some reason.

Maybe...could I, take out all my decorations, (and my fish, lol) and disturb the gravel A LOT to kick all the poop up then suction it out? Leaving the filter on, etcetc.

This would be so much easier if they sold nicer gravel vacs...the ones they have at my petsmart...you could vacuum your house with, XD...they're all "recommended" for 55+ Gallons :(