Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #161 
vaygirl

3) Riddle (My betta fish) is seemingly createing a new habit of becoming suctioned to the filter every once in a while for a few seconds without visible resistance (as iff enjoying it?) Should I be concerned though? He escapes easily enough and swims around perfectly fine as well. I do have a homemade plastic bottle buffer to 'mildly' redirect the current of the outflow.

All of mine do this at one time or another. Whiskey makes a habit of it. So far he's been fine. If you're really worried, you could grab one of these, which is what I finally had to do for Whiskey. I just didn't want to tempt fate anymore. Now he doesn't do it at all.

http://www.petco.com/product/111694/...t=OnSiteSearch
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #162 
BlueHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Yes, java fern is safe for them. As well as java moss, Christmas moss, anubias, etc. As far as I know any aquatic plant is safe for them. If I am wrong about that, somebody please let me know. :)
Thank you! ^_^
I looked at petsmart today and they didn't carry them but they did have Marimo moss balls, so I got one of those for his aquarium. It's great!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #163 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonoko View Post
1) Wanting to eventually breed my own betta... However I do honor the traditional Responsibility of a Breeder codes, so I was wondering if theress any way to limit the amount of frys produced? I'm -definently- not looking to create a barrack.. I just wanted to breed my very own betta fish to achieve certain physical aspects.

2) (Slightly off topic) My betta tank mate is an Apple snail, I've had him for about 2-3 weeks now and hes been livelyand active since the day I had him. Here recently though hes been floating at the topic, only sinking every once in a while for food. I know Apple snails go into hybernation every so often, so is this what it could be?

3) Riddle (My betta fish) is seemingly createing a new habit of becoming suctioned to the filter every once in a while for a few seconds without visible resistance (as iff enjoying it?) Should I be concerned though? He escapes easily enough and swims around perfectly fine as well. I do have a homemade plastic bottle buffer to 'mildly' redirect the current of the outflow.
If your looking for a certain number of fry you have to be willing to cull unwanted fish. IMO a breeder has to be set up to care for an entire successful spawn because if you do things like destroying the bubblenest or removing the female you are decreasing your chances of getting a fish with the pheno and geno type you want. You won't know what qualities your fish have until they are 2 months of age. After that you'll have to look into adoption or humane euthanasia to thin your spawns. Don't add to the problem by letting fish you breed go to a pet store.

The apple snail could be sick, did you quarantine it before putting it in the tank? I know my mystery snails would start to float like that just before they died.

He's fine as long as there is no way his fins can get sucked into the in-take, if they do they could get shredded.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #164 
Kokonoko

Thank you all =D

Now I don't feel so worried anymore >.<; 'Cept for my lil' snail =( I'll have to do a few more hours of reseaarch to make sure hes not sick... he does drop down every once in a while for food though?

Last edited by Kokonoko; 07-31-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #165 
Kokonoko

Well, I did more research on the apple snail. I'm slightly mortified to say that it actually might be a collapsed mantle *Bites lip and fights back the tears!* Which would also explain his floating behavior+inactivity; also when transporting her, she seems to have less energy to retract back into her shell.

On the other hand, I have slight hope that this is just normal behavior, as many-a-site also suggests... =(
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #166 
xswornxoffxjello

Quick question: what constitues a "true purple"? I know there's a thread about this in Betta Chat, but for some weird reason the bettysplendens site doesn't download on my computer.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #167 
JKfish

I bought frozen bloodworms (yay!) from Petsmart, and now I need to know how to feed with them and how much. It isn't the cubed kind, rather a thin sheet. Help?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #168 
1fish2fish

I just break off a bit and thaw it out in a small bowl (or a fish cup works well) of tank water. For my regular sized fish I usually give 2-3 worms (depending on size). My small fish I give 1-2 worms.

If you have extra worms just throw them (in the tank water) in the fridge. They usually last 2-3 days in there.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #169 
JKfish

:) okay, thank you 1fish2fish
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #170 
dramaqueen
Banned

Just what my mother would love in our refridgerator... a cup of worms! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote